The Mighty Hercules
is a cartoon based rather loosely on the legendary greek hero Hercules
Hercules comes down from Mount Olympus to battle monsters and villains like the wizard Daedalus, Wilhamene the Sea Witch and the Mask of Vulcan. Because on Earth his godly strength would vanish, Hercules must don a magic ring to maintain his power. At his side are the beautiful Helena, Newton the Centaur
, Tewt the satyr and young King Dorian of the kingdom of Caladon.
This series is best remembered by Johnny Nash's Bragging Theme Tune
. Also it partially inspired Superman's look for Superman: The Animated Series
, particularly his head shape and facial features.
- Audible Gleam: Mostly with Hercules' ring
- Beard of Evil: Daedalus.
- Distressed Damsel: Helena.
- Evil Sorceror: Daedalus
- Hollywood Magnetism: Hercules employs this in The Magnetic Stone to catch Daedalus, using a magnetic stone and a large iron kettle. He throws the kettle at Daedalus, which lands on Daedalus' head, and drags him back over to him, from outside a window, with Daedalus flying through the air, with the pull of the magnetic stone.
- Magic Skirt: Donned by Hercules himself, no less.
- Once an Episode: After Hercules accomplishes his heroic deed, he flies off shouting "Olympi - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"
- Hercules' donning his ring to retain his god-like strength also qualifies.
- Right-Hand Cat: Daedalus' own cat, Dydo.
- Sea Witch Wilhelmina has a pet bird.
- Rogues Gallery: The wizard Daedalus, the sea witch Wilhelmina, Mertus the Mask (who was invincible so long as he wore the Mask of Vulcan), General Diomedes and Otis the Chameleon Man.
- Sadly Mythtaken: The mythological Daedalus was a cunning craftsman, but he wasn't really evil and certain didn't plan on conquering any part of Greece.
- Showy Invincible Hero
- Stock Sound Effects: The Monster of the Week always tended to make the same noises.
- Tagalong Kid: Newton. Toot also qualifies.
- Un Evil Laugh: Daedalus gives it his best shot, but it ends up being pretty narmy.
- Verbal Tic: Newton tends to say anything twice.
- The Voiceless: Toot can only communicate by playing his pipes.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Otis the Chameleon Man could turn into anything he wanted. Not that it ever helped him beat Herc, of course.
- The Wise Prince: King Dorian wants to be this.