The Drinky Crow Show is about...a crow that likes to drink. And Uncle Gabby, his monkey-ish friend who likes to bed as many women as he can. The two go off on adventures on a ship with a captain and his daughter, with whom the monkey-ish thing likes to sleep. All the while they're looking for Drinky Crow's love of his life, a mermaid, and fighting French crocodiles. Occasionally, they get tied up in various schemes in an effort to either drink alcohol, bed women, or simply shirk from their French-killing military obligations (or any form of responsibility, really).Based on the comic strip Maakies by Tony Millionare, this series debuted "unofficially" on April Fools' Day 2008 on [adult swim], and later "officially" the following fall. It became popular with fans for its far-out humor, but was cancelled after only one season due to the high animation costs. Though at the least it was given a Grand Finale.
Some tropes used in this series are:
- Amusing Injuries/Bloody Hilarious: Not only do the main characters end up getting maimed on a regular basis, but they maintain a casual nature throughout the whole thing aside from the pain itself.
- Conspicuous CG: Animated at low resolution.
- Does Not Like Shoes: The Captain's Daughter is always barefoot.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Drinky showed up in a brief animation in the 2002 documentary Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns).
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Drinky Crow's name is...Drinky Crow. Captain Maak's daughter is called...The Captain's Daughter.
- Everything's Better with Platypi: A platypus appears in the egg episode.
- For The Cel Of It: Which makes it look like a Subverted Kids Show, particularly that of The '50s.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Gabby's new girlfriend is really only after him to commit murder and cannibalism before her wedding but is too chicken to perform them on an actual human being.
- Once per Episode: Gabby or Drinky will show a horribly infected wound and ask "Does this look bad to you?" and get a dismissive "Nah, you're fine" in return.
- Organ Autonomy: Drinky's brain dumps him off after a botched suicide attempt. It goes for a drink at a bar whose clientele is made entirely of self-aware body parts.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Drinky Crow is ADORABLE.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: The entire bar on shore is staffed with robot versions of the regular cast except for Captain Maaki... while the real ones are at sea with a Maaki robot. None of them suspect a thing until Drinky blasts his head open and notices he's made of metal parts.
- Schizo Tech: Hoo-boy, the show seems to be set in a different era with each episode. Ostensibly the premise is Wooden Ships and Iron Men through the lens of utter madness, as suggested by the pilot. Except most people carry modern revolvers, New York already has a modern skylinenote , and 1950s and 60s automobiles are common enough that they're not treated as luxuries. This all plays into the show's trademark insanity.
- Those Two Guys: Well, those two aliens. Voiced by Bret and Jemaine.
- Wingding Eyes: You know they're really drunk when X's replace irises.