Sarah & Duck is a CBeebies animated series that follows the adventures of Sarah, a 7 year old girl, and her best friend Duck, a Mallard duck in a quirky neighborhood. Narrated by Roger Allam and launched in 2013, its first series of 40 7-minute shorts did well enough that two more have been promised.Airs on Sprout in the United States.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A lot of them. From a vegetable patch, to a knitting bag, to a rainbow, to an umbrella, to a cake.....you name it!
- A Dog Named "Dog": Duck. Think about it. A duck named Duck. There's also a knitting bag named Bag, a rainbow named Rainbow, a cake named Cake, a donkey named Donkey, an umbrella named Umbrella, a flamingo named Flamingo, some leftover yarn named......well, you'll get the idea.
- A Girl and Her Duck
- All Just a Dream: The "Strawberry Souffle" episode, although the true surrealness of the episode doesn't stand out until a bit further in it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Scarf Lady certainly qualifies.
- Cool Old Lady: Scarf Lady, once more. Knitting an enormous hot air balloon to enter (and win) a "Balloon Race" really brings out the awesome in mundane old-lady tasks!
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Subverted in "Pond Princess", in which the other ducks at the park pond crown Sarah as one. She's initially flattered, but spends most of the episode trying to figure out what they actually want her to do and becomes rather bored. As it turns out, they just want her to name a king or queen to look after them, and she's freed from her title once she does (she has Rainbow take over for her).
- Everything Talks: The animals don't speak English, but there are tons of Animate Inanimate Objects that do.
- Interactive Narrator: The Narrator helps and makes suggestions for Sarah and Duck. And, when something comes to life, he says "Look, Sarah! The (insert inanimate object here) has come to life!"
- Limited Wardrobe
- Name and Name
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most of the other human characters: Scarf Lady, Scooter Boy, Plate Girl, etc.
- Parental Abandonment: Sarah and Duck appear to live alone; nothing is said or heard about her parents. Though it's possible the Interactive Narrator takes care of them.
- Spear Counterpart: John and Flamingo, Sarah and Duck's friends.
- Swans A-Swimming: Averted in "Fancy Park". Pretty as the swans at the titular park are, they're portrayed as greedy and snobby. When they see Sarah giving Duck some bread, they start squacking for some, she tosses a slice in the pool — and then they turn up their beaks at it, apparently seeing it as "common".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cherry tomatoes for Sarah and bread for Duck. They both like lemonade too.