"Striking from the shadows, a ruthless organization named COBRA has returned to unleash an endless army of robotic troops and massive machines on the world. Our only hope, a group of highly skilled young operatives thrown together to save the planet. With time running out, they must become the super secret team known only as Sigma 6."
Initially a Hasbro
toyline re-imagining characters from one of the company's popular 1980s franchises
, GI Joe Sigma 6
is also an animated series (2005-2007), produced by the Japanese animation studio GONZO
. Ironically, this description fits another series (Transformers Cybertron
) to a T.
A continuation (sort) of the two direct-to-video GI Joe
CGI movies, Spy Troops
and Valor vs. Venom
, Sigma 6 has Cobra Commander broken out from prison and the Joes forced to evacuate their base. Traveling in their mobile command center, the R.O.C.C. and equipped with Hi-Tech's Sigma suits
, the Joes renew their battle to protect the world from Cobra.
The show ran for two full seasons on 4Kids TV
, and is currently re-airing on The Hub
- Adaptation Distillation: The series draws from the original mythos, along with bits and peices of other, more recent works.
- Animesque: Inverted, it's a genuine anime based on a American toyline.
- Ascended Extra: High Tech used to be one of the less important Joes. Here, he often outpaces Duke and most of the other Joes in screen time. It helps that pretty much everyone is using a lot of super technology (more so than usual, anyway) and this gives him a lot of chances to flaunt his specialty. Destro specifically considers High Tech his "Sigma 6 Counterpart", giving him one of the show's primary rivalries.
- Bloodless Carnage
- By-the-Book Cop: Heavy Duty refers to Scarlett as such.
- Conspicuous CG: It's a trademark of GONZO after all.
- Continuity Reboot
- Continuity Snarl: The first season established the series as a sequel to the CGI G.I. Joe specials (Spy Troops and Valor vs. Venom) produced by Reel FX. The biggest evidence of this is the fact that General Hawk is still in the hospital recovering from the "Venomization" process he suffered during the events of Valor vs. Venom. However, a later Compilation Movie of the first five episodes (called "First Strike") added a scene that established that the Joe team from Sigma 6 were not the same Joes from the CGI specials, but new members who inherited the codenames of their predecessors 20 years after the original members retired. Somehow, most of the Cobras also got identical successors as well and they managed to get a new Storm Shadow who just happens to be the rival of the new Snake-Eyes.
- Cool Car: Lot's and lot's and... did I mention there are a lot?
- Cool Versus Awesome: Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow, or maybe it's the other way around.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Cobra Commander does this in the show's final episodes.
- Family-Friendly Firearms: Not really shocking, it's G.I. Joe.
- Though Buzzer's "Laser Chainsaw" is really pushing it.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: Cobra is nowhere near as ineffective as he was in the past. In fact, he's down right creepy sometimes.
- Five-Episode Pilot
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The energy rocks called "Power Stones" that Sigma 6 and Cobra end up fighting over.
- Grand Finale
- Immune to Bullets: Much of Cobra's tech.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: Both Cobra and the Sigma team jump on the Mecha-bandwagon.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: As soon as Snake Eyes shows up, you know things are gonna get awesome.
- Karma Houdini: Cobra Commander ends up escaping in the finale "Assault".
- Mecha-Mooks: The B.A.T.s
- Never Say "Die"
- Oh Crap: Poor Spud really screwed things up with his playful hacking.
- The Other Darrin: For some reason, near the end of season one many of the V As were replaced, most notably for Duke, Scarlet (who now speaks with a slight southern drawl), Tunnel Rat, and Baroness.
- Powered Armor: The Sigma suits.
- Theme Tune Roll Call
- The Voiceless: Snake-Eyes
- Took a Level in Badass: Cobra Commander, this time around. He now resembles more of a dictator than a coward!