The first feature film of the Ben 10 animated series. For the overall series it's actually the second film in the franchise coming after Ben 10: Race Against Time as well as the second based off the original series. It's also the Grand Finale canonically and in official order of the series (designated as episodes 49-51) despite that it was produced and took place before the last 10 episodes of the series and aired between Big Fat Alien Wedding and Ben 4 Good Buddy in Cartoon Network airing order.An encounter with Dr. Animo accidentally sets off a self-destruct protocol in the Omnitrix. Tetrax reappears, and tells Ben that, in order to stop the countdown (the ramifications of which Tetrax doesn't reveal until later), they must find the only being who knows the inner workings of the device: its creator, Azmuth. Tetrax takes Ben (and Gwen, who stowed away on the ship) on an inter-stellar journey that's anything but leisurely, and that's before considering that Vilgax is hot on their tracks...
This movie provides examples of:
- Actually, That's My Assistant: Tetrax picks up a DNA signature on the watch, thinking it to be Azmuth's, and trace it to Incarcecon. The signature actually belonged to Azmuth's ex-assistant, Myaxx. The trip to Incarcecon wasn't a total loss, however, as Myaxx was able to lead the group to Azmuth's hideout.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Introduction of Way Big.
- The Alcatraz: first appearance of the prison planet Incarcecon.
- Apocalypse How: the Omnitrix's self-destruct protocol can cause an X-4.
- Disney Death: Gluto and Gwen near the finale.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: At the movie's climax, Azmuth gives the freshly-repaired Omnitrix back to Ben, with a new alien: Way Big.
- Grand Finale: To the original series canonically and official order (before the non-canon Goodbye and Good Riddance).
- Interspecies Romance: There's some Ship Tease sprinkled between Gwen and Gluto; primarily on Gluto's side, but Gwen isn't unresponsive. Invoked and lampshaded (and curiously played up on her side) by Ben:"Great! Gwen's in love with the snot blob."
- I've Come Too Far: Said by Ben in a moment of Heroic B.S.O.D. after Gwen supposedly dies when they're right outside Azmuth's door.
- Madness Mantra: "It should've been me, It should've been me"
- Running Gag: Tetrax, regarding his friend Gluto."Who knew?"
- Wham Line: "Not just you, of course," spoken by Myaxx and escalates the core threat of the movie to universal proportions.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Myaxx asks Tetrax if he's actually told Ben what would actually happen if the Omnitrix's self-destruct protocol wasn't shut down. When Ben learns the truth, he gets angry at Tetrax for hiding it from him.
Myaxx: What have you done?!Ben: I ask myself that question all the time.
- Gwen likewise gives one to Ben as they get further to the hideout to his suppose lack of empathy after they seemingly lose Gluto and on if he likes being the hero sorely for the glory of it then genuinely trying to help people.
- Myaxx gives Ben one when he activates the Omnitrix which he knows will speed up the self-destruct countdown.