The animated Spin-Off
of the 1992 film
featuring a St. Bernard as its title character. In the animated series, Beethoven could speak, but only to his fellow canine friends, who were exclusive to the series. Also, there was a Guinea pig named Mr. Huggs who wasn't in the movie.
Developed for television by the creators of Recess
. A total of 26 episodes were released between 1994 and 1995.
Tropes found in the cartoon series:
- Absurdly-Spacious Sewer - Seen in "The Incredible Pointless Journey".
- Berserk Button - Beethoven is sensitive about his weight.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Eater: Beethoven.
- Big Friendly Dog: Beethoven.
- Big "NO!"
- Butt Monkey - George and to an extent, Mr. Huggs. Also Sparky at times.
- Cats Are Mean
- Censorship by Spelling - "Okay, who's been teaching the dog to spell?"
- Cheerful Child - Emily Newton
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander - Ceasar
- Cool Big Sis - Ryce Newton.
- Cool Old Guy - Blind Shep.
- Deadpan Snarker - Sparky, Ginger, Mr. Huggs and George share this role.
- Distress Ball - Sparky in "The Pound".
- Dogs Are Dumb: Ceasar.
- Five-Man Band
- Fragile Speedster - Sparky is the fastest of the main five but gets beat up by a cat.
- Gentle Giant - Beethoven
- Hey, It's That Voice!:
- I Am Not Weasel - Mr. Huggs dislikes being called a hamster.
- Identity Amnesia - "A Cat Named Rover".
- Jerk Ass - Mowser
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Sparky.
- Missing Episode - All of the episodes were released on VHS...except for the last two, "Trash Island" and "Long Weekend." Because there were 3 episodes on each video, and a total of 8 videos, they only make up 24 of the 26 episodes; those two got left out. Since the show wasn't ever rerun in syndication/cable, few people know about the last two episodes; they're left off of most episode guides, and fans have even debated their very existence. Because the entire series has been rerun in Russia, these two episodes have surfaced online...but only in Russian.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain - Puff Puff the cat.
- Team Mom - Ginger acts like one.
- The Renaissance Age of Animation
- Urine Trouble - Beethoven does this to Killer in a Crowning Moment of Awesome.