Barbie: The Pearl Princess
is a Direct-to-DVD Barbie
movie released in March 2014, though it had gotten a limited theatrical release in some theaters.
Barbie plays Lumina, a mermaid girl with the power to change the color of pearls. Cheerful and creative, Lumina finds herself working in a mermaid salon customizing fabulous hairstyles. And when Lumina has the chance to attend the royal ball, her friends adorn her with a gown fit for a princess.
At the ball, villains try to seize power over the kingdom, and Lumina finds within herself an unexpected power that proves she is much more than a hair stylist.
This movie contains examples of:
- Anti-Villain: Scylla, a reformed witch who's forced into being evil.
- Also Fergis, who has no interest in his father's ambitions and wants to be a botanist.
- The Atoner: Scylla.
- Award Bait Song: "Light Up The World."
- Badass Finger Snap: Used several times by Lumina.
- Bag of Kidnapping: The eels use this to capture Lumina and Kuda.
- Big Bad: Caligo.
- Chekhov's Hobby: Fergis wants to be a botanist, and it's this interest that helps him save Scylla.
- Damsel out of Distress: Lumina and Kuda are kidnapped by Caligo and the eels. Once imprisoned, Lumina uses a supply of pearls to trick the eels into fighting each other, grabs the key, and escapes on her own.
- Death Glare: Lumina gives◊ one◊ to Caligo after he poisons Scylla.
- The Dragon: Murray the eel, to Caligo.
- Evil Prince: Caligo wants Fergis to be this, but it's averted since he has no interest in ruling the kingdom or his father's ambitions.
- Fashion Shop Fashion Show: Seen when Lumina and her friends buy ballgowns, set to the song "Mermaid Party!"
- The Fashionista: Lumina and Madame Ruckus, an octopus who owns a hair salon.
- Fetch Quest: Lumina goes to the ball to return Scylla's invitation to her.
- Find the Cure: After Scylla is poisoned, they must find the antidote. Luckily, Fergis knows what it is.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Lumina makes good use of her pearls in combat.
- I Am Who?: Lumina knows she's a mermaid, but had no idea she was royalty.
- The Masquerade: Lumina was raised to avoid using her pearl powers in public for fear of danger.
- Mistaken for Special Guest: Lumina is mistaken for the salon's new stylist.
- Mundane Utility: Lumina uses her color-changing pearl powers to style hair and tails, and Madame Ruckus uses her tentacles to style hair.
- Obviously Evil: Caligo is half-shark.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Lumina gets a multicolored tail.
- Poisoned Chalice Switcheroo: Caligo has ordered Scylla to poison the king's glass, but his and the king's cups are switched. He resolves it by spilling the king's glass and offers his own.
- Poisonous Person: Spike the stonefish. Lumina helps him by using pearls to cover his spikes.
- Punny Name: Murray the eel, a pun on moray eel.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Caligo is named after the Greek mother of Chaos, and Scylla is named after the sea goddess from the Odyssey.
- Reused Character Design: Several fish were recycled from Barbie In A Mermaid Tale and Barbie In A Mermaid Tale 2, though with different coloring.
- Royal Blood: Lumina, much to her surprise.
- Royalty Superpower: Lumina's pearl powers.
- Scenery Porn: Even in the teaser, the underwater shots are beautiful, and in the movie they're even more beautiful.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: A male version with Fergis, who becomes more handsome after Lumina fixes his hair.
- Tranquil Fury: Lumina enters this state after Scylla is poisoned. She gives Caligo a Death Glare and focuses on taking him down.
- Under the Sea: The movie takes place entirely underwater, as everyone is either a fish or a mermaid/merman.
- Womb Level: Lumina and Kuda travel inside the skeleton of a great sea beast, which starts to collapse once Kuda bumps one of its ribs.