Western Animation / Barbie & Her Sisters in a Pony Tale
The 26th movie in the Barbie
series, and the first to actually give subplots to the Roberts sisters.
In this one, they go off to a stable in Switzerland to learn to ride. Barbie, being the most experienced rider of the lot, picks her own horse, but on a trail ride, she discovers the legendary Majestique herd. Meanwhile, Skipper's showing too much interest in her iPad and not enough in her horse, Stacie's jock tendencies get the better of her riding skills and Chelsea is too weirded out by her pony's behavior to form any sort of bond.
Unfortunately, the stable is (as is usual for this kind of Barbie movie) on its last legs, with a much larger stable threatening to buy them out. And, as is usual for this kind of movie, they will resort to whatever underhanded means necessary to get what they want. Matters are also complicated when Barbie actually finds
the Majestiques, unwittingly leading the bad guys right to them.
This movie contains examples of:
- All Girls Like Ponies: Subverted by Chelsea, who actually wants a full-size horse. She eventually does form a bond with her pony.
- An Aesop: If you love something, set it free.
- Anime Hair: Skipper's usual hairstyle is here, but this entry is for the Majestiques, who get a natural pink streak in their manes.
- But Now I Must Go: Barbie realizes that the best thing she can do for Majesty is to let her go.
- A Dog Named "Dog": A variation; Barbie names the Magisique breed horse "Majesty".
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Philippe Cheynet, the Jerkass villain of the film, bears an astonishing resemblance to 2016 U.S. Republican presidential candidiate Ted Cruz. No, really!
- Inspired by...: The Majestiques are based on the horses Hannibal used to cross the Alps.
- Non-Indicative Name: Only one pony, and it's not the MacGuffin.
- Oddball in the Series: So far, it's the Barbie movie with the least amount of fantastic content.
- Squee!: If you are even remotely an equine romantic at heart, this movie hits every mark, to ludicrous extents. Chosen by a glorious, beautiful horse? Check. Rescued by glorious, beautiful horse? Check. Bonding in a near mystical level with glorious, beautiful horse? Glorious, beautiful horse is faster, stronger, and better than everyone else's? Check. The list goes on.