Barbie In A Mermaid Tale 2
is the sequel to Barbie In A Mermaid Tale
. It was released in 2012.
Surf's up for Barbie as she returns as Merliah, the fun and fashionable surfing champion who's also a magical mermaid princess! In this exciting sea-quel, Merliah makes a splash when she heads to Australia for the ultimate surfing competition.
When the evil mermaid Eris escapes from her whirlpool, with plans to take Callissa's spot on the throne of Aquellia and get the power of Merilia, Merliah and her sea friends dive in to stop her. It's a fresh new adventure where Merliah learns that anything is possible if you stay true to yourself.
This movie contains examples of:
- The Ace: Merliah, and her rival, Kylie.
- As You Know: An Oceana news report explains the events of the first movie.
- Baleful Polymorph: Eris gains legs, which, to her, is the worst thing that could happen to her.
- Big Bad: Eris, who returns from the first movie.
- Brick Joke: The lead Stargazer vows revenge on Eris despite his shrunken state, and returns at a critical moment to bite her nose.
- Darker and Edgier: Despite Eris being deposed in the previous movie, the scenes of the characters' worst nightmares are pretty intense, and it has Merliah in the position of possibly losing her legs forever. There's also two scenes where Kylie almost drowns.
- The Dragon: Alistair.
- Equivalent Exchange: For someone trapped in Eris's whirlpool to escape, someone else must enter it.
- Friendly Rival: Kylie becomes this.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kylie throwing Merliah her necklace while underwater.
- The High Queen: Queen Calissa.
- Kick the Dog: Eris does it again by tricking Kylie into freeing her, imprisoning her in her place, and forcing everyone to live their worst nightmares.
- The Lifestream: Merillia. In this movie, Merliah learns how to spin it.
- Married to the Job: Merliah is married to her hobby, surfing.
- Orcus on His Throne: Eris is this in the final battle because leaving the throne means she wouldn't gain the power of Merillia.
- Power Incontinence: In the end, Merliah's spinning Merillia distracts her while surfing and lets Kylie win.
- Primal Fear: Eris's nightmare powers prey on these.
- Kylie absentmindedly takes off Merliah's necklace and almost drowns at one point.
- The Rival: Kylie.
- Sadistic Choice: Merliah must choose whether to lose her legs and stop Eris or keep them and let Eris take over again.
- Scenery Porn: The Australian coast is beautiful, as are the underwater scenes.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Kylie and Merliah believe this at first.
- Second Place Is for Winners: Merliah comes to believe this, realizing not everything has to be a competition.
- Shock and Awe: The Stargazers do this.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Queen Calissa, who doesn't like to fight, but will to protect the ocean.
- This Is Reality: Kylie protests to Alistair, a talking fish, that she doesn't believe in magic necklaces. He lampshades this and she concedes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Eris, who can still create whirlpools and can now cause people to live their worst nightmares. She demonstrates this power by using it on a pack of huge, scary eels.
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode: This happens when Eris forces everyone to live their worst nightmares.