Barbie as the Princess and the Popstar
(Or Barbie: the Princess and the Popstar
) is a direct-to-DVD Barbie
film that was released in Fall 2012. It's the second Barbie adaptation of Mark Twain
's The Prince and the Pauper
, following Barbie in the Princess and the Pauper
Tori, princess of the kingdom of Meribella, dreams of becoming a popstar and leaving her restrictive lifestyle, while Keira, Tori's idol, has lost her love for songwriting due to her busy schedule. The two decide to switch lives and see if the grass truly is greener on the other side.
This movie contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Both Tori and Keira.
- Cassandra Truth: Amelia didn't believe Keira wasn't Tori.
- Chekhov's Gun: Keira's Outfit Microphone and Tori's Hairchanging Hairbrush helped them to capture the bad guy.
- Continuity Nod: Many to the previous Princess and the Pauper Barbie adaptation. For instance, Keira is an anagram of Erika, and the song "To Be a Princess" shows up as "To Be a Princess/To Be a Popstar".
- Damsel in Distress: Invoked by Prince William, averted by Tori and Keira.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The 'Drought' is clearly a stand-in for the recent economic downturn.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The concert outfits in the finale performance and all of Keira's outfits.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Tori's room is filled with these even if she's 17.
- Hairpin Lockpick: Keira try it, but it don't work.
- I Just Want to Be You: The two girls think this of each other, while singing "I wish I had her life."
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Tori's exact words when she met Keira.
- In Name Only: The "bloopers" actually consist of assorted scenes of the characters dancing, rather than the Hilarious Outtakes one would expect.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Keira
- Love Triangle: Averted, Liam just asks the girls which one he likes after he find out (it's Keira).
- Magitek: Keira's Outfit Microphone and Tori's Hairchanging Hairbrush are both programmable.
- Pimped-Out Dress: While every dress worn by Tori and Keira could count, the finale dresses really take it above and beyond.
- Prince and Pauper: Except here, the "pauper" is also rich and famous but for differents reasons.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Tori's main outfit, and wig in the final scene.
- Rebellious Princess: Tori
- Royal "We": Duchess Amelia
- Running Gag: "There's a camera, and a camera, 'nother camera, it's a camera!"
- Sheltered Aristocrat: It's a shock for Tori when she discovers how many of her compatriots are in financial distress.
- Softer And Slower Cover: Tori's version of Here I Am.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Keira is a purplehead for most of the movie (though she is a natural brunette) and Tori has pink hair in the finale concert.