Webcomic / The Senkari
Being immortal is hard enough. But being immortal and having to go to high school in the 21st century? Join three immortals in their present — and past — adventures.The Senkari
is a webcomic following the adventures of two immortals
from Another Dimension
who have decided to gain a modern education, their own world apparently being still in the a Medieval Stasis
and have enrolled in High School
. However as the series progresses they find themselves and their new Human friends being pulled into a conspiracy which seems to be organized by their ancient Demonic enemies.
Since most of the Protagonists are female expect Action Girls
in authentic early-mediaeval
armor. The comic itself tends to pendulum between Slice of Life
and Fantasy depending on where, and just as importantly when, a given chapter is set.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Freija and Rachel.
- Ambiguously Human: Senkari look like humans, but...
- Art Evolution: dramatic.
- Attack! Attack... Retreat! Retreat!
- Audience Surrogate: Nat, an Ordinary High-School Student.
- Back from the Dead: by Divine Intervention, after Death by Origin Story.
- Battering Ram: how about a battering dragon?
- Battle Cry: Fraenii Invicti!
- Big Eater: Freija.
- Bilingual Bonus: can you read runes?
- Blue Blood: Emily is a borderline Lonely Rich Kid (but not yet an Impoverished Patrician).
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: offscreen, from Skathi to Fraenir.
- Born as an Adult: the Senkari were created full-grown.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: Natalie can't keep secrets when Emily is trying to pry them out of her.
- Chainmail Bikini: consistently averted.
- The Chick: Rachel is the most social of the main characters, and keeps Freija from killing people.
- Coup de Grâce: Freija's death.
- Day in the Limelight: Sandulf and Helen.
- Demon Slaying: the Senkari's raison d'être.
- Distressed Dude: Val, in chapter 4.
- Early Installment Weirdness: the first chapter is confusing.
- Europe: Although it's never explicitly stated where the comic takes place, between the drinking age (at most 18), the existence of Aristocracy it's fairly clear that the comic is set somewhere in Western Europe
- Exposition of Immortality: On the third page, Freija mentions that she fought at the Battle of Hastings.
- Fantasy Pantheon: includes Skathi, Vulcan and the Allfather.
- Fiery Redhead: Rachel claims Freija is one.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Freija hasn't been to Earth in centuries.
- Foreign Exchange Student: what Freija and Rachel are pretending to be.
Emily: You must be the new girls? Where are you from?
Rachel: Erm... Siberia!
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: angry Senkari.
- Great Big Book of Everything: the Lexicon.
- Go for the Eye: Freija wounds a dragon this way.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: averted. Of the main three, the girls smash and the guy shoots (or collects intel).
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Freija. Rachel tries to keep her from killing anyone.
- High School
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder:
Sandulf: I'm an archer, not an infantrist.
- Immortality: details unclear, possibly ageless or undead with resurrection.
- Implausible Deniability:
Freija: Nat, don't think for a moment that I don't know you're in that bush.
Natalie: ...no, I'm not.
- In Vino Veritas: a drunken Freija lets slip that she's Older Than She Looks.
- Last Minute Baby Naming: for the newly created Feirefiz:
Skathi: What should we call it?
- Last Stand: the last of the Senkari, at the end of the war.
- The Legions of Hell: demons and dragons.
- Lock and Load Montage: Whenever Freija decides to armour up, it seems.
- Lovely Angels: Freija and Rachel.
- The Low Middle Ages: the characters use authentic early mediaeval arms and armor.
- Mad Scientist: invoked by Skathi, who creates Feirefiz in Frankensteinian style, complete with lightning.
Skathi: It lives!
- Majorly Awesome: Freija.
- Mind Probe: Taika's (or is it just an Agony Beam?).
- Motherly Scientist: Skathi is more attached to her creations than she's supposed to be.
Skathi: Distance myself? But they're mine! Is it so wrong that I want to look after them?
- Our Angels Are Jerks:
Angel: Well well, if it isn't the mortal play things. How does it feel to be mere shadows of the real host? Don't worry, it will all be over soon, five, ten years at the most.
- Really Eighty Thousand Years Old: Freija and Rachel are much older than they look.
- Redshirt Army: what the Senkari were intended as.
- Revealing Injury: Freija's cheek wound is not plausible makeup.
- Ring... Ring... CRUNCH: a Running Gag with Freija.
- Seer: One of the angels foretells Feirefiz' future for Skathi.
- Secret Chaser: Natalie wants to find out what's up with Freija and Rachel.
- Separate Scene Storytelling: The entire third chapter is one long flashback.
- Sergeant Rock: the unnamed archery sergeant.
Helen: Sarge will gut me if I'm not back in time.
- Siege Engines: Ballista bolts go through armour and kill a dragon.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Freija swears like a soldier.
- Slashed Throat: Freija attends a party with a cut throat as part of her costume. It's real.
- Socialite: Emily's mother wants her to be one, but Emily hates it.
- Storming the Castle: The demons storm a castle, knowing they'll suffer heavy losses.
Demon commander: Sir, if I attack I'll lose half my corps!
Dragon: There is no time for a siege!
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Freija and Rachel, in their choice of clothes.
- Twice Shy: Emily and Matt.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Senkari, to a limited degree.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Emily, as demonstrated here (justified, as she's rich).
- Winged Humanoid: angels and Senkari.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: Senkari keep the wounds they had when they died, but shapeshift them away when they don't want to scare people.