Webcomic / The Eye of Ramalach
A furry webcomic
drawn and written by Avencri
. It started being published in 2006 on a weekly basis (but the artist has run into some downtime here and there).
The story begins when Ronald receives a journal from his father. It narrates his research about The Eye of Ramalach, an artifact he searched for but was never able to find. This event sets a chain of events that start to change his boring life, for better or for worse.
The comic can be found here
, on The Katbox
along with Las Lindas, Caribbean Blue
The Eye of Ramalach provides examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: Alex is forced to have one of her legs amputated after Terato's attack.
- Art Evolution: The change from page 1 to the current one very noticeable.
- Berserk Button: Never catch up with Pierre unless you want him to go psycho.
- BFG: Velia had a gun that was as long as her torso.
- Bilingual Bonus: Mayte speaks Arabic, Pierre speaks French, and Gretta speaks Spanish.
- The Casanova: Ben.
- Cliffhanger: Chapter 9 ends with Alex gravely injured from Terato's No-Holds-Barred Beatdown and whether or not she'll live is up in the air, and Mayte being abducted by the Silent Men for unauthorized magic use.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Jane asks the team if they have any questions for her, Ben and Alex bombard her with questions about her apparent immortality, the Deivons, the Silent Men and whether or not they'll threaten Mayte again. Mayte's "question", on the other hand?
- Darker and Edgier: Notable for having been the darkest Katbox comic until Draconia Chronicles joined. Even today, most of the Katbox comics are Slice of Life stories with mild fantasy elements. Ramalach, by contrast, is a full on Cosmic Horror Story full of flawed protagonists, heavy topics such as racial and religious intolerance, political corruption, and genocide, the current Big Bad is heavily implied to be a Well-Intentioned Extremist, and there are multiple scenes of graphic, disturbingly realistic violence.
- Dope Slap: Ben delivers one of these to Ron off-panel after he completely ignores a girl hitting on him at a night club. Because he was reading. The girl he blew off makes another appearance later on. The picture can be seen on the author's dA account here.
- Durable Deathtrap: The bad guys work their way around several of these that were kind of clichÃ©.
- Friends with Benefits: Ron and Alex. Though later subverted, it turned out that he proposed to her once but she refused, preferring to stay friends with benefits. And he's been carrying a torch for her ever since, sabotaging other potential relationships.
- Furry Comic: Obviously!
- Gratuitous French: Pierre does this often, but his grammar is off.
- Halloween Cosplay: On October of 2009, all of the Katbox webcomics had a horror movie poster tribute; the Eye characters were dressed as characters from Shaun of the Dead.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Ron has the hots for Marianne.
- Improbable Weapon User: To prevent Ron from getting to The Eye frist, Pierre threw both of his shoes at him. It's super effective.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ben actually cares for Ron, even if at times it is hard to realize it.
- MacGuffin: The Eye of Ramalach.
- Oh Crap!: Ben almost blew his own face when playing with a gun. Also, when Wallace dies.
- Older Than They Look: Queen Jane looks awfully young for being almost 70 years old. Also O'Raelly, but that is due to the artist's lack of skill at the moment.
- Perky Goth: Alex seems to be one of these.
- Rated M for Manly: Wallace has the size and body hair to prove it.
- Reality Ensues: The extent of Alex's injuries after Terato's attack are chillingly realistic, especially when compared to the fairly fantastical manner in which most of the other Katbox comics have treated wounds.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Played with by Ramalach to O'Raelly. O'Raelly returns a few of Rama's sealed servants expecting him to cure his terminal illness, but because he'd murdered Ron's father and tried to kill Ron and his friends and Rama was betrayed by his own priests Rama didn't trust him. So he refused to cure him, and didn't kill him then and there as a "reward".
- Schedule Slip: The author just keeps doing this. 2009 was particularly bad about it.
- More recently, the author has decided to completely restart the comic from the beginning for a number of reasons explained on the forum.
- 2010 saw only 2 updates, and one of them was a Halloween special with nothing to do with the plot.
- Shapeshifting: Mayte can switch from humanoid girl, to giant dragon and to something in the middle of both.
- Shout-Out: The author likes to drop one of these in every once in a while.
- Slasher Smile: Pierre got one of these when things didn't go as his plan.
- Stripperiffic: Mayte's outfit is very revealing.
- The Gunslinger: Velia (being a wasp) wields 4 guns at the same time with good accuracy.
- Tearjerker: Wallace's death
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Gretta is stuck to the ground by Mayte's spit and unable to defend herself, so she calls out to Pierre to help her. He runs right past her and tells her to "get yourself out" because getting to The Eye before Ron is obviously more important than his own teammate's life.
- Wall of Text: Several of the earlier pages did it.