October 20th is a horror/mystery webcomic centered on a group of people with dark and troubled pasts who are being hunted by a mysterious creature. Every October 20th, the creature singles one of them out as its target. The appointed day is approaching fast as those still remaining wait for the signs that will signal the creature’s approach, as well as who the next target will be.Read the comic here.
October 20th contains examples of:
- Alt Text: On occasion.
- Bilingual Bonus: Rai has a rather colorful vocabulary in more than one language.
- Celestial Deadline: The creature only appears on October 20th.
- Dance of Romance: Rai and Catherine dance to Tango de la Muerte.
- Dark and Troubled Past: All of the characters are cursed for having done something terrible. On top of that, the creature has been after them for nearly ten years, leaving their lives a mess.
- Deadly Nosebleed: The creature’s target is marked by a nosebleed. However, death may not necessarily be inevitable.
- Death by Origin Story: Some of the people who were targeted and killed by the creature in the past are briefly introduced.
- Driven to Suicide: Victor does this after breaking the second rule.
- Drunk Driver: It is implied that Catherine took someone’s life while driving under the influence.
- Due to the Dead: The survivors honor the memories of those who were killed by creature by lighting candles.
- Easily Forgiven: Rai and Ansgar making up after a very unfriendly greeting. Lampshaded by Catherine, who is dumbfounded by it.
- Face Death with Dignity: Ansgar very much accepts his fate without making a fuss.
- The Glomp: How Catherine greets Ansgar. Rai, on the other hand…
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ansgar somehow strikes a deal with the creature to make himself the target, buying Rai and Catherine more time.
- Invulnerable Knuckles: Averted when Rai punches Ansgar for showing up out of nowhere without letting them know where he’d been. His hand is visibly injured as a result.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Those who are cursed are encouraged to stay away from their loved ones. One of their fallen comrades ignores this warning, to tragic ends.
- Kill the Cutie: Li Bai Yun was the most optimistic person in the group until the creature got her.
- Le Parkour: Rai used to be a freerunner and seems to enjoy showing off the agility he’s acquired from it.
- Mr. Exposition: Sheilds, who wrote the rules everyone must follow to maximize their chance of survival. Ansgar is shaping up to be this as well.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Catherine in particular shows significant guilt over what she has done.
- Never Split the Party: The best way for everyone to survive is to stick together no matter what.
- Nothing Is Scarier: So far, the creature hasn’t been seen or described in any way. The suspense all comes from fear and tension between the characters as they wait for it to arrive.
- Scars Are Forever: The scars Catherine received nearly a decade ago are still prominent.
- Shout-Out: Cat and Rai watching Groovy,Kinda: The Musical.
- Snow Means Death: Everything in the present so far is set in the tundra, where everyone is waiting to see who will be marked to die next.
- Used to Be a Sweet Child Shields was far, far nicer at eight years old, before becoming the broken, paranoid murderer he is today