Hang In There, Kogasa-San
Ohhh? I may exaggerate, but I didn't draw anything false, do ?
Kogasa, when Yamane complained one of his earlier strips tarnished her reputation.
is a Touhou
Fan Web Comic
story about Kogasa Tatara and Sanae Kochiya being happily married and living together. Both are famous manga artists and the story describes their daily lives between traveling, conventions and general tasks for work. The catch is that all the story lines are based on the life of the author, Mizuki Hitoshi, comedically exaggerated.
It is published daily on Pixiv
, and an English-translated and regularly updated version can be found here
- Acrophobic Bird: Sadly, only the acrophobia part of the trope applies to Kogasa.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Suwako and Kanako for Sanae. Kogasa's parents are even weirder from a human perspective but they don't anger her as much.
- Author Avatar: Kogasa for the maker, Sanae for his wife, and random Touhou characters for everyone else.
- Big Eater: Kogasa.
- A later arc gave justification to this—the author is from rural Kochi Prefecture, where "country folks' hospitality is the amount of their food" and "sincerity is measured in calories."
- Yuyuko, much to Kogasa's despair due to two reasons: her tastes are expensive and recently she insists on Kogasa eating as much as her, usually when he's on a diet.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Remilia and arguably Flandre.
- Brick Joke: Sanae's Youmu cosplay.
- Butt Monkey: Kogasa, most of the time.
- The Cameo: Look at what Kogasa is playing
- Action Bomb: The last panel of the above, look at the screen. Kogasa's about to be exploded by a Creeper ingame.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Kogasa, who got drunk once by a single sip of beer.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Changes between Kogasa and Sanae.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Sanae, which provides much of the series' fanservice
- Covert Pervert: Sanae. Not too covert though.
- Crack is Cheaper: Being both an Otaku and a Big Eater does a number on Kogasa's budget. Lampshaded In-Universe.
- Crossover: Between Touhou and several other franchises when the characters would better suit the situation. The author has incredibly diverse tastes.
- Cue the Rain: Kogasa always seems to be ruining the day by making it rain somehow. It's also discussed in the Anime Boston arc, where a lack of rain at that event is questioned by a fan.
- It still rained though, didn't it?
- Diary: The story is the author's journal.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Happened more than one time to Kogasa, often by Sanae.
- Fan Nickname: Sanaewife
- Sanaelation, for the inevitable result of Kogasa drawing his wife's ire.note
- Fan Disservice: Whenever Kogasa does something incredibly adorable, at least one commenter will remind everyone else that she represents a 30-some year old man.
- Fan Translation: The Danbooru version via clever note placement.
- Food Porn: Rather frequent, given that Kogasa and Sanae are both cardinal foodies.
- Gender Flip: The writer is male (as are a few of the other characters); his Author Avatar is female in canon and is drawn as a female (with female underwear etc); and yet considered male in-story.
- H-Game: Kogasa played one of these with obvious consequences.
- Happily Married: Kogasa and Sanae.
- Life Embellished: The premise of the comic.
- Made of Iron: Kogasa.
- Meido: In once instance, Kogasa has to dress up as this as punishment.
- No Sense of Direction: Yamame.
- Otaku Surrogate: Sanae is a Gundam fan, sometimes to Kogasa's horror. (Kogasa himself is more into moe.)
- Running Gag:
- Kogasa orders a meal only to get a wrong one or nothing at all.
- Yuyuko brings Kogasa or Sanae to restaurants that're massively overpriced for the couple.
- Yamame getting lost and/or arriving late.
- Yuyuko forcing Kogasa to eat alot of food when she gets the chance.
- Sanae for whatever reason being unable to go on trips.
- Schedule Slip: Rare for a daily webcomic. The only major period of slip was a 11-day period during mid-October 2011, when the writer claimed to be backlog of 16 pages of draft. He even tried to remedy the situation by uploading 3 archived strips in the beginning.
- Sequential Artist: a certain amount of the strips was basically the pain of being a doujinshi artist; there were poorly-conducted cons that made substantial loss (q.v. the below PMMM convention)elaboration there've been cases where he had to attend cons that he didn't want any part ofelaboration .
- Shout Out: An entire arc was more or less re-creating Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Fitting, since the arc was on a PMMM con.
- Show Within a Show: Sort of. In one story arc, the characters watch episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- Slice of Life
- Weight Woe: Sanae has that,and it affected Kogasa as well, as Sanae is actively weight-watching Kogasa.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: Some of the one-shot characters do this. It's unavoidable due to the author using some of the game's rather distinctive cast members as extras.