Left-to-right from top-to-bottom: Beneatha, Sean, Mulder, Ed, and Fyodore.
A long-lost anthro webcomic
by Steven Graziano, CoyoteVille!
is about Sean O’Desse, a coyote living in the desert with his friends Mulder and Beneatha Fox, Fyodore the Lizard, Ed the dead cowskull head, and a whole bunch of countless other native inhabitants. It features Looney Tunes
-style humor and art.
The comic originally ran from 1997 to 2002 until it was axed due to trolls
and hate dumb
bashing the comic as well as the creator for trying to be a "self-aggrandizing celebrity.” Approximately eleven years later, on January 1, 2013, it was finally Un-Canceled
The original series is available here
and the new series is on Graziano's (now going as Steve MacIntyre
as well as his Tumblr comic blog
This comic includes examples of:
- Master of Disguise: Sometimes Sean.
- Medium Awareness
- Misplaced Wildlife: Why does the desert have Fennec foxes in the first place? (To be fair, Steve suggested it's intentionally done to screw up their history.)
- Negative Continuity: Quite usually. Justified because it's a cartoon.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: A lot of female animals such as Beneatha and Mai (a girl coyote) have them.
- The Philosopher / The Conscience: Fyodore and Ed.
- The Pollyanna: Sean has an incredibly optimistic attitude towards everyone and everything else (which would certainly explain his smile in a lot of the comics).
- Post Modernism: Often drew humor from its characters knowing they were in a comic strip.
- Pun: Its main source of humor.
- Rascally Rabbits: They're everywhere, and they're Sean's biggest enemies.
- Road Runner vs. Coyote: Averted for the most part. Sean seems to be surprisingly successful with catching rabbits.
- Series Hiatus: For a decade, the series was a victim of Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things. After it was Uncancelled, there was another month-long hiatus that's actually more of a Schedule Slip than anything (the creator was moving from one city to another).
- Short-Lived Big Impact: Even though it was cancelled after just five years, new artwork kept cropping up, and the fanbase only grew, to the point where the author eventually caved to popular demand and brought it back.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Sean.
- Spin-Off: Coyote Creek, which is much shorter lived and supposedly more dramatic. Heck, some of the early CoyoteVille comics were called "Coyote Creek" on purpose.
- Spotlight-Stealing Title: CoyoteVille
- Straight Man: Mulder.
- Straw Feminist: Beneatha.
- Those Two Guys: Fyodore and Ed, again.
- Those Wily Coyotes: Sean.
- The Trickster: Sean, top notch.
- Tsundere: Beneatha.
- World of Snark
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Beneatha.