is an Urban Fantasy
comedy set in its own world and created by Jkun. The comic follows the antics of mischievous troublemaker Lacie, child genius Peppermint, beastly bodyguard Candy, cheery idiot Shelbie, and ninja with a heart of gold Daifuku along with her mean-spirited belly of teeth
(really sentient cursed armor) Mochi.
The comic generally follows a gag-per-strip format with some story arcs scattered throughout the archive.
Currently, the series is retelling each protagonist's backstory through a year-long arc, aptly named "O.R.I.G.I.N.S"
In the gag strips, most of the humor derives from the interactions between the characters and the events taking place in the strip. The comic also has some clever uses of the medium
(Keep your eyes on the background while you scroll down).
Currently updates once a week and can be seen here
The official forum for the series can be found here
, and the official Wikia page can be found here
This comic provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Candy is a weightlifter and the most violent member of the cast.
- Alt Text: Since page 1.
- Anime Hair: Lacie has the spiky variety.
- Art Evolution: Compare panel 4 of this strip to this strip.
- Likewise the characters gain new redesigns later on.
- Ass Shove: Lacie insults Candy. Candy happened to be holding a ladle.
- Either that, or it was the... other... way to access a female's... *cough* interior *cough*.
- Beach Episode: One starts here.
- Belly Mouth: Mochi is one of these for Daifuku.
- Body Horror: Mochi
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Lacie likes to speak directly to the readers sometimes.
- Brick Joke: You can stop scrolling.
- Bullying a Dragon: Lacie routinely makes fun of or messes with Candy, who is capable of effortlessly pulling out a street lamp to use as am impromptu bat. Lacie ends up paying for it most of the time.
- Chekhov's Gag: The beginning sets up the joke of Lacie pulling a Tempting Fate without consequence. Later it goes off. Bonus points for the Alt Text in the later comic.
- Cut Himself Shaving: Lacie explains that she "fell" when a X-ray shows a ladle stuck in her.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Lacie becomes mesmerized when staring too long at Shelbie running track.
- The Ditz: Shelbie, and very much so.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Shelbie on Lacie's zipper.
- Dumb Blond: Shelbie borders on Too Dumb to Live. Ironically this was due to a head injury she sustained in an accident. According to Word of God, before she was quite serious and at the top of her class in angel school.
- Emotion Eater: Mochi has to "eat" all the negative emotions Daifuku produces. As something of a positive tradeoff, Daifuku can't feel said emotions (as long as Mochi can consume them all) so aspects like pain and anger no longer affect her.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Lacie won't steal Peppermint's bike when she asks Lacie to look after it but still punctures the tires by the time Peppermint gets back.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Mochi's eyes will appear on top of whatever Daifuku is wearing over her breasts (meaning he's blind if she isn't wearing anything).
- Expy: Dr. Ivory to Dr. Eggman. Her design is a near female take on him. As well as the fact she uses animals to make her robots. Even her name is a take on his American name (Dr. Ivo Robotnik).
- Fiery Redhead: Daifuku is an interesting play on the trope. She's a trained ninja that refuses to kill. Then there's Mochi who eats her negative emotions; his favorite being anger. This means she can't experience anger, pain, etc. and thus can never really get negatively "fired up" per the normal trope. Still she's not a shy person and runs an ice cream shop even with a giant pair of teeth in her abdomen.
- First-Person Perspective: Candy's origins story is shown like this up until the last panel of it.
- Fun with Acronyms: S.U.G.A.R. "Super Guardian Angel Regiment."
- Gadgeteer Genius: Peppermint, age 9 (and a half), has made sentient robots, an asteroid destroying laser powered by cigarette smoke, and a nice pair of ordinary gloves among other things.
- Girlish Pigtails: On top of being stupid, Shelbie is prone to childlike behavior such as picking her nose.
- Happily Adopted: Candy into Peppermint's family after her home was razed by Dr. Ivory.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Candy's mother did this save Peppermint, her father and her to keep Dr. Ivory from killing them.
- Hidden Depths: If you do the math, Shelbie in this comic is completely right. Whether this makes her a Genius Ditz or is a relic of what intelligence survived from her back story has yet to be revealed.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Daifuku wears bright, diverse colors. Getting a second mouth in her gut hasn't improved her stealthiness.
- Idiot Hair: While Peppermint has an ahoge she's far from an idiot. Lacie on the other hand fits the bill.
- Literal-Minded: Used for a 2-comic gag starting here and ending here.
- Love Freak: Shelbie; especially with Lacie who often attempts to kill Shelbie.
- Mega Twintails: Shelbie's tails could easily cover her face if flipped over. They stream behind her like flags when running.
- Odango Hair: Daifuku
- Opera Gloves: Goes well with Candy's Zettai Ryouiki.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Candy, due to some medicine Peppermint gave her, gave Candy a rather normal human appearance to keep it in check. When they finally were off, Peppermint manages to suppress her beastly side giving her more lupine features. Though O.R.I.G.I.N.S reveals she was born like this and the medicine was used to help control her animal instincts, reverting her back to normal when she gained control of herself.
- Primal Fear: Lacie is afraid of spiders. See There Is No Kill Like Overkill below.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Lacie when getting down to business and Shelbie when trying to appear smart. Both have perfect eyesight (as far as we know).
- Reality Warper: Seems to be an ability of Shelbie and Lacie, both of whom have damaged the comic itself and are the only ones that have been "animated".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Lacie.
- Robotic Reveal:Peppermint, Word of God even personally adds more detail about it in the comments section.
- Russian Reversal: Daifuku's boobs stare at you (though technically Mochi's eyes are just over Daifuku's breasts, not a part of them).
- Sarashi: Daifuku wears one as per her ninja/Asian influenced theme.
- Shrinking Violet: Peppermint is implied to be one in public according to her character bio but we have yet to see her in such a situation.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Candy can understand and speak with any animal (that's been shown thus far). Comes across as Blessed with Suck (type 4) as it seems animals have a certain... dialect.
- Theme Naming: The creator has said that the characters are purposefully named with candy/sweets as the theme.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Lacie's reaction to the SUGGESTION of a spider on her leg (turned out to be lint) is to set an entire house on fire. Moreover, she didn't even get the "spider" in the flames.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Candy combines this with Tomboyish Sidetails thanks to the ponytail making her hair look short in the back (easiest to see on the cast page).
- Tomboyish Sidetails: Candy and Daifuku (In both cases they have longer hair that gets shorten in the back due to stylization).
- Wingding Eyes: Specifically of the Heart Symbol variety. Eyes for the stray dog, irises for Shelbie.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Candy wears a grade A.