Web Video: Grumpy Tropers
What happens when you take tropers, with all their pent up anger, and combine them with retsupurae, and then extend that scope to all horrible works? You get Grumpy Tropers. Mainly featuring retsupuraes of awful, awful Let's Plays, Grumpy Tropers is a troper work that features various tropers in their attempts to riff on every work that so much as looks at them wrong. Whether or not they actually do a good job at it is up to you.
Grumpy Tropers is now closed for good, since the regulars lost the drive to continue the project. The tropes will remain.
Who were the Regulars?
- Shlapintogan was half of the reason Grumpy Tropers ever existed. It all started with his searing hatred for all the low quality Mischief Makers Let's Plays on Youtube. His was the calmer, deeper voice in the videos. He is also a decently accomplished Let's Player who can be found on Youtube.
- goodtimesfreegrog was the other half. After
getting tired of seeing Shlap bitch in Troper Updates seeing how much Shlap hated these videos, he suggested they try their hands at retsupurae'ing them. It all went from there. His was the (usually) more angry voice in the videos. Grog used to stream for the popular video game livestream channel "VidyaVidya".
- Miijhal jumped in occasionally for some riffing, though not as frequently as Grog or Shlapintogan. She tended to be clever and sarcastic with her mocking as opposed to the more direct approach the boys took.
So it's not like they didn't know what they were talking about.
The videos they've done:
As the project is closed, the descriptions of the videos will remain here for future reference (do help out with filling this in):
- RP Mischief FIRE: The original. In it, Shlap and Grog RP a Mischief Makers LP. At first, the issues with the recording methods and the poor cropping of the video rile them up, but the poor playing really sets them off.
- RP Paper Proloag: This time, Shlap and Grog take on a Camcorder LP of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, which was done on a hacked Nintendo Wii. The poor camcorder quality is only worsened by the maker of the LP reading the text out loud, among other things.
- Crocodile Dundee plays Metal Gear Solid: A Let's Player who decides to speak with a ridiculous Australian accent does an LP of Metal Gear Solid. Besides the issue of a camcorder being used, the accent only serves to irritate Grog and Shlap endlessly.
- Wet's pway Spywo siwentwy: A Let's Play of Spyro the Dragon done on a camcorder and pointed at an antique TV set may seem fairly standard at this point, but the audio mysteriously cutting out several seconds into the video allows Shlap and Grog to really open up on this LP.
- Let's vomit profusely: Shlap and Miijhal RP an LP of a Dragon Quest game for the DS done on a camcorder with a bunch of guys barely talking about it at all. A very disjointing experience for the senses.
- Retsuwatch Chargeman Ken: Shlap and Miij watch an episode of Chargeman Ken in awe of its craziness.
- I like DBZ and it is good for me: Shlap and Miij watch an LP of a "Create-A-Saiyan" Flash game done by a big fan of the series. Cracks about DBZ, the Let's Player's possible Homophobia and other things ensue among the creepiness of the video.
- Hurf: Shlap, Miij and Grog all watch a camcorder LP of Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball done by another creepy guy. A very awkward experience for all involved, as scan lines, swimwear shopping, odd background noises, volleyball and card games get involved.
- Gamspurts: Normally, Shlap and Grog wouldn't have done a video on something made by a kid (Shlap likens it to "a Hell's Angel beating up on a toddler"), but this video, where two kids use a camcorder to review the box for the European version of Rayman Arena, is an exception. Among the annoyances are Raspberry noises (among other "sound effects") and awful microphone and camera quality.
- I can't shake shake this hate hate: Shlap and Ponicalica delve into the aforementioned Mischief Makers LP again. More incompetance and fire ensues.
- An argument for prohibition: In English Ivy's debut, she, Shlap and Miij take on a Let's Play made by a drunken, angry Let's Player who has issues with "killing" video game sprites in The Lucky Dime Caper, Indie Games and minor things. Many comments about his drunken incompetence are had, and two long pauses in action occur.
- More like nightmares: Shlap, Miij and English Ivy crack into a horridly-made animated work by the name of Illusions Dreams. The bad art, awful microphone quality and ridiculous writing inspire terror in the Tropers.
- viteo keims: Shlap and Grog pretend to be awed by who they claim is The Angry Video Game Nerd when it is, in fact, a guy speaking heavily accented English while attempting to review Resonance of Fate. This video contained one of the few recorded instances of goodtimesfreegrog speaking English in his native Finnish accent.
- Oh no: Made when Shlap's microphone gave out, English Ivy has to experience horror as a Sonic the Hedgehog Let's Player, who had gas from Taco Bell food, describes how to make a Dr. Robotnik in the bathtub. It's best that you don't ask what that is, but note that it does not involve the aforementioned gas.
- The most frightening thing in the world: In Longfellow's debut, he and English Ivy tear into a Let's Play of Mario Kart made by two Let's Players, one in particular who enrages Longfellow.
- Kwhyzo Mario: Shlap, Longfellow and English Ivy take on a dime-a-dozen Let's Play of Kaizo Mario World where the maker in question doesn't make much progress for 10 minutes.
- Let's forget about playing Phantasy Star Portable: ...because Phantasy Star really doesn't get played in the video. Shlap, Miij and English Ivy watch a guy make enraging remarks while "conversing" with video game characters.
Grumpy Tropers provides examples of the following: