Video Game: Weird Dreams
Weird Dreams is a Flip Screen Scrolling action / adventure / Survival Horror game released in the late 1980s.The backstory described in the novella that came with the game is this. The protagonist, Steve, is in love with a woman possessed by a daemon. At some point she tricks Steve into taking some pills to cure his flu, thus granting the daemon access to his body and mind. Steve's dreams get increasingly lucid, weird and painful. A psychiatrist and then a neurosurgeon try to cure him. The game starts with Steve in the operation room taking an anaesthetic and experiencing yet another dream, hopefully not his last.
Provides examples of:
- Creepy Child: The little girl.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After you kill the little girl, her ball will fly into your inventory and help you out at certain points in the game.
- Dying Dream: If you fail, this dream will be your last.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Flatline: Shows when you lose all your lives. Through the game you can see your heart rate, stuttering and increasing when you get beaten.
- Flying Seafood Special: The fishes in the desert stage.
- Gainax Ending: Either Here We Go Again or Sudden Downer Ending. You defeat the final boss, wake up on the operating table and then the creepy little girl with a butcher knife attacks you in real life and the screen fades to black. Either your nightmare just got real, or you haven't woken up yet.
- Guide Dang It: Some enemies can be beaten by whacking them with a stick, but often you'll need to be more creative.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The little girl tries to kill you with a man-eating ball. You have to throw it back at her at just the right moment so it eats her.
- Let's Play: Plenty. One of the Amiga version is viewable here
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Many monsters, including a football (soccer ball to stateside tropers) have a lot of large teeth. The author came up with the idea while waiting in line at the dentist's.
- Nintendo Hard: No surprise, considering when it was made.
- You've got 5 lives. For new players this isn't enough to get out of the first room. Forgot to grab enough candy before grabbing the pole? Too bad.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder
- Shamu Fu- Fighting a bee with an electric eel and then fighting weird monsters, and then the Big Bad daemon, with a fish.
- Stalked by the Bell: If you take too long to kill the man-eating flowers and advance to the next screen you'll be killed by an unavoidable lawn mower.
- If you take too long getting past the fat ballerina the piano key platforms will start disappearing.
- If you stand still on one screen too long while holding a fish, the fish will fly out of your hand and eat you.
- Survival Horror: Supernatural environment, underpowered protagonist having to rely on his wits, any encounter may kill him. Though the game isn't mentioned among the founders of the genre, despite its age.
- Tennis Boss: The little girl.
- A Winner Is You: In the Commodore 64 version. The other versions are no better: The screen cuts back to the four surgeons, implying that the operation was successful and you've woken up, but then one of the surgeons' heads suddenly turn into the psychotic little girl's, the screen cuts to black, a wicked laugh is heard, and the game abruptly dumps you back to the DOS prompt/Amiga Workbench desktop/Atari GEM desktop).
- World of Chaos: What else to expect from a daemon-induced nightmare?
- Your Head Asplode: The most common death animation.