is a Flip Screen Scrolling
action / adventure / Survival Horror
game released in the late 1980s.
The backstory described in the novella that came with the game is this. The protagonist, Steve, is in love with a woman possessed by a daemon. At some point she tricks Steve to take pills to cure his flu, thus granting the daemon access to his body and mind. Steve's dreams get increasingly lucid, weird and painful. A psychiatrist and then a neurosurgeon try to cure him. The game starts with Steve in the operation room taking an anaesthetic and experiencing yet another dream, hopefully not his last.
Provides examples of:
- A Winner Is You: In the Commodore 64 version.
- Creepy Child: The little girl.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After you kill the little girl, her ball will fly into your inventory and help you out at certain points in the game.
- Dying Dream: If you fail, this dream will be your last.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- Flatline: Shows when you lose all your lives. Through the game you can see your heart rate, stuttering and increasing when you get beaten.
- Flying Seafood Special: The fishes in the desert stage.
- Gainax Ending: Either Here We Go Again or Sudden Downer Ending. You defeat the final boss, wake up on the operating table and then the creepy little girl with a butcher knife attacks you in real life and the screen fades to black. Either your nightmare just got real, or you haven't woken up yet.
- Guide Dang It: Some enemies can be beaten by whacking them with a stick, but often you'll need to be more creative.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The little girl tries to kill you with a man-eating ball. You have to throw it back at her at just the right moment so it eats her.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Many monsters, including a football ball have a lot of large teeth. The author came with the idea while waiting in line at the dentist's.
- Nintendo Hard: No surprise, considering when it was made.
- You've got 5 lives. For new players this isn't enough to get out of the first room. Forgot to grab enough candy before grabbing the pole? Too bad.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder
- Stalked by the Bell: If you take too long to kill the man-eating flowers and advance to the next screen you'll be killed by an unavoidable lawn mower.
- If you take too long getting past the fat ballerina the piano key platforms will start disappearing.
- If you stand still on one screen too long while holding a fish, the fish will fly out of your hand and eat you.
- Survival Horror: Supernatural environment, underpowered protagonist having to rely on his wits, any encounter may kill him. Though the game isn't mentioned among the founders of the genre, despite its age.
- Tennis Boss: The little girl.
- World of Chaos: What else to expect from a daemon-induced nightmare?
- Your Head Asplode: The most common death animation.