Video Game: Wizard Of Wor
A 1980 Maze Game by Midway in which one or two players, as Worriors equipped with unified-field-disturbance rifles, descend into the dungeons of the Wizard and slay Worlings. A radar screen lets players track the movement of Invisible Monsters. The difficulty increases when corridors and short passages give way to the more open layouts of the Arena, the Worlord Dungeons, and finally the Pit.The arcade version featured a computer-controlled ally for single players; it was also one of the earliest arcade games to feature synthesized speech, with 71 phrases for the Wizard to taunt players with. The game was ported to various computers and consoles, including a version for the Bally Astrocade renamed The Incredible Wizard.
- Attract Mode:"Fight me, the Wizard of Wor!""Hey! Insert coin!""I'm out of sight! Ha-ha-ha-ha!"
- Co-Op Multiplayer: With friendly fire allowed.
- Duel to the Death: This happens when the Wizard of Wor appears.
- The Goomba: Burwors are the first type of enemy and always visible.
- Invisible Monsters: Garwors and Thorwors can turn invisible, but still appear on the radar screen.
- Metal Slime: Worluk can be shot for Double Score but may escape first.
- One Bullet at a Time: This makes the game difficult and contributes to gameplay strategy.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The Dragnet theme.
- Wrap Around: Escape Tunnels to the left and right wrap around to each other.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: By golly, it actually does look more warlike when you spell it "WOR."