"Time Killers... engage!"Time Killers
was a Fighting Game
released in arcades in 1992 by Strata, around the same time as Mortal Kombat
. The game's story
featured eight characters (Rancid, Matrix, Orion, Musashi, Lord Wulf, Leif, Thugg and Mantazz) from throughout time
, hand-picked by Death
to battle each other before facing Death himself.
The game had an unusual control scheme: two punches, two kicks, and a head button, laid out in the shape of the human body. But it really distinguished itself by featuring a healthy amount of violence
. Every character carried some sort of bladed weapon, and it was possible to cut off the opponent's arms and legs. Not only that, but there were Death Moves, which were activated by pressing all five buttons at once and, if they connected, would cut the opponent's head off
and immediately end the round (even at the very beginning).
Because the game's violence was more accessible than that in MK
, Time Killers
was briefly popular, but its fame soon died down. There was also a Sega Genesis
port released in 1996. The less said about that, the better
This game features examples of:
- Action Girl: Matrix
- Adjustable Censorship: The Sega Genesis version features an option to set the violence level to "No Blood", "Blood", "Dismember", or "Decapitate".
- All There in the Manual: The handbook features a very detailed story for each of the characters, but you wouldn't know by playing the game itself.
- An Axe to Grind: Leif (metal axe) and Thugg (stone axe).
- Artificial Limbs: Matrix has an artificial hand.
- Bug War: Mantazz's story.
- Chainsaw Good: Rancid.
- Expy: Wulf (of King Arthur), Musashi (of Miyamoto Musashi), Leif (of Leif Ericcson)
- Finishing Move
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Death's Stage
- Horny Vikings: Leif.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Leif's name is pronounced "life", instead of "leaf" or "layf".
- Knight in Shining Armor: Lord Wulf.
- Laser Blade: Matrix and Orion.
- Mirror Match: As in most games of this type, both players could choose Palette Swap versions of the same fighter: e.g., blond Matrix vs. redhead Matrix.
- Off with His Head!: AND HOW!
- One-Hit Kill
- Prehistoria: Thugg's stage
- Reversegrip: Musashi
- Samurai: Musashi
- Shout-Out: The ability to cut arms off and the armless fighting was inspired by the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The Smurfette Principle: Matrix was the only unambiguously female character.
- Mantazz is female, but you couldn't tell without reading her backstory.
- SNK Boss: Death hits like a mack truck, which is bad enough. But he can also do this glowing dive move that's hard as hell to block and will usually cost you a limb if you get hit by it...If you're lucky, just a limb.