Video Game / Super Robot Spirits
Super Robot Spirits
(スーパーロボットスピリッツ Sūpā Robotto Supirittsu) is a 3D Fighting Game
for the Nintendo 64
and a Spin-Off
from the usual Super Robot Wars formula
. It was released only in Japan in 1998
. Like Shin Super Robot Wars
, this game was largely forgotten because of its premise and obsucrity, but it served as the debut of the Judecca and its pilot Levi Tolar, who would reappear in Super Robot Wars Alpha
Featured Series (featured mecha in parentheses)
Tropes regarding Super Robot Spirits include:
- Battle Tops: Voltes V has the Ultraelectromagnetic Top attack. It has hard blades, comes in twos, manipulated by the machine using its belt, and are colored RED.
- BFG: Voltes Bazooka and Galliar Bazooka
- BFS: Voltes V's Tenkuuken, Dunbine's Aura Sword, Shining Gundam's Shining Finger Sword and Dancouga's Dankuuken
- Combining Mecha: Voltes V and Dancouga
- Duality Motif: Levi has has one red and one golden eye to match the Judecca. Her eye color changes depending on continuity.
- Finishing Move: Every mecha gets to keep their finishing moves as their strongest super move.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Levi's Judecca
- Guns Akimbo, Swords Akimbo: The R-1 Custom takes these tropes to the extreme with a pair of Giant Tonfa Revolvers.
- Humongous Mecha
- Improbable Weapon User: The "Boomerang Idiom" and the Daitarn Fan
- Let's You and Him Fight: May double as Excuse Plot - the storyline of this game is this in a nutshell
- Meaningful Name: "Tolar" is a loose romanization of the word "Torah", meaning "the law" in Hebrew. "Levi" is one of the twelve tribes of Israel in the Old Testament and are designated as the priests, who were charge of the law, hence Levi being the "Priestess of Judecca".
- Mo Cap Mecha: Shining Gundam and Master Gundam
- Not Drawn to Scale: This trope is in place, so everyone can fight on an even playing field.
- Nuke 'em: The Walker Gallia's ICBM Toss
- One-Woman Wail: The Judecca's Leitmotif
- Power Fist: R-1's T-Link Knuckle and the Shining Gundam's Shining Finger.
- Sequel Hook: After beating Levi, she reveals that she is a puppet of Commander Gozzo. Gozzo thanks Levi for her efforts and intends to commence his invasion of Earth.
- Theme Naming: Subversion; while "Judecca" refers to Judas Iscariot, the disciple of Jesus Christ who betrayed him, each of the Judecca's attacks ("Caina", "Antenora", "Ptolomea" and "Judecca") corresponds to a section of the ninth and lowest circle of hell in The Divine Comedy.
- SNK Boss: The Judecca is really quick, has an infinite spirit bar, and almost Nigh-Invulnerability when Levi performs any specials and supers.