Video Game: Skyblazer
Skyblazer is a 1994 action-platform game for the Super Nintendo, made by Sony Imagesoft. A young sorcerer named Sky witnesses the kidnapping of the sorceress Arianna by a demon named Ashura, and is knocked out. When an old man rescues him, he tells Sky that he must become stronger to stand a chance against Ashura, and Sky sets off into the land to do so.The game has a Super Mario World-style overworld, with Mega Man-style stages where Sky earns a new ability after defeating each of the bosses. All of these abilities must be collected before Sky can reach Ashura.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- American Kirby Is Hardcore: Compare the US box art to the Japanese.◊
- Auto-Scrolling Level: The Cliffs of Peril and Fortress Shirol auto-scroll to the right.
- The opening area to Raglan's Citadel auto-scrolls up.
- Big Bad: Ashura
- Bigger Bad: Raglan
- Bonus Level: The Mode 7 stages where Sky flies through the air count, as he can collect jewels to gain extra lives while in the air.
- Boss Rush: In Raglan's Citadel.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Sky's first fight with Ashura, which he loses.
- Descending Ceiling/The Walls Are Closing In: Common in a few stages.
- Dub Name Change: Sky was originally named Brahma in the Japanese version.
- Eye Scream: The weak points of a few bosses are their eyes. Some lose their eyes the more they are hit.
- Golden Super Mode: The Warrior Force spell.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: The old men.
- Keep the Reward: After saving Arianna, Sky turns into a phoenix and flies away. Arianna laments that she didn't get to give him any sort of reward.
- Lethal Lava Land: The Temple Infernus and the Caverns of Shirol.
- Living Structure Monster: There's a Demon Wall boss that attacks by spinning and attempting to crush Sky against the edges of the screen.
- Made of Explodium: The bosses, whenever they are defeated.
- Painting the Medium: The passwords in this game are called "mystic patterns", and are presented by the old men. Sky even asks the first time if they will "help [him] preserve his quest".
- Save the Princess
- Shifting Sand Land: The Sand Rivers of Shirol.
- Shock and Awe: The Lightning Strike ability, which Sky gets in the Storm Fortress of Kh'lar.
- True Final Boss: Raglan