is a 2004 Platform Game
, released for the Nintendo GameCube
, PlayStation 2
Bobby Jenkins is a kid living with his mom somewhere in suburbia. We'd call him "ordinary
", but frankly, that's a lie — he's an animal activist
, with an especial love of lizards. He's currently gotten himself a dose of local infamy for protesting — in slightly-less-than-honorable ways—a motion picture currently being shot in his town. Unfortunately, the director, Looger, and his henchmen don't take too kindly to Bobby's meddling. Their solution? Drag him into a basement for some torture. Electric Torture
In the process, they also open up a gate to another world — their
world, where Looger and all of his henchmen turn out to be scaly lizard-people
who want to mutate Bobby's pet lizard eggs into horrible monsters! Luckily for Bobby, he's also
been turned into a lizard — a cool, blue-and-yellow alter ego called Scaler, and he quickly adapts. He also manages to quickly piss off another lizard man named Leon. But Leon, at least, hates Looger as much as Scaler does, and the two form an extremely uneasy team to take down the devious director for good!
This game contains examples of:
- Animal Wrongs Group: Bobby is a "lizard activist," and he sometimes plays dirty.
- Bear Hug: When Leon finally warms up to Scaler — and realizes that he's his son — smothering ensues.
- The Bully: Rhombus. He wears a constant mean glare, and his Shockwave Stomp and Shockwave Clap will certainly keep you on your toes.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Looger's form on Earth.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist
- Demolitions Expert: The Bakudan. It may be small, but it's really skilled with bombs.
- Disappeared Dad: Scaler's dad left when he was really little.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Looger's right-hand man, Bootcamp, takes on the guise of a drill sergeant. But this is nothing compared to to his true form: a massive, dark-green dragon with venomous breath and breathes fire when he gets really vexed.
- Easy Levels, Hard Bosses: Some of the worlds (and their associated Lizard Eggs/Crystal Gems) are challenging, but if a level itself is hard, the eventual boss will make you want to pull out your hair in frustration. The first boss is relatively easy, but after that... Ugh.
- Feed It a Bomb: You'll have to defeat certain enemies by changing into your Bakudan form and then hurling a bomb into their mouths.
- Genius Bruiser: Leon. Brilliant scientist, and surprisingly muscular force.
- Giant Enemy Crab: One of the bosses. You even attack its weak point For Massive Damage!
- Giant Flyer: Leon's "Repadactyl," or "Reppy," as he calls her. She can also apparently, uh, serve as the shop by absorbing energy balls and then spitting up upgrades. Or something.
- Grind Boots: Scaler does this with his bare claws. It also serves as the only way to charge an electrical attack.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: The Fruzard. It's basically a walking sniper rifle.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Leon has an especially prominent one. He's also the local Top-Heavy Guy.
- Lizard Folk
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Scaler, Leon is your father!
- Mascot with Attitude
- Mega Manning: Scaler gets the ability to transform by defeating enemies with the form he wants.
- Older Sidekick: Leon, for Scaler.
- Parental Substitute: As they start to get along, Scaler comes to see Leon as a kind of vague replacement for his Disappeared Dad. But, surprise! Leon is Scaler's dad.
- Racing Minigame: One level is almost nothing but races, in Scaler's Krock form. Some of them are just time attack, but others have enemies for you to race against.
- Scenery Porn: Leon calls his world the "Worst plane in the Multiverse," but it's so pretty!
- Stealth Expert: Scaler can render himself invisible to his enemies.
- Super Drowning Skills: Scaler even says it himself: "CAN'T SWIM!" However, the Swoom transformation allows him to swim in a few levels.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: It takes several levels before Scaler and Leon even start to get used to each other, let alone get along.
- Trapped in Another World
- Totally Radical: Scaler. Egads.
- Unexpected Shmup Level: Several, usually from Repadactyl-back. In particular, the boss fight against the Sky Crab is entirely one of these.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Scaler can change between different forms on certain levels to solve puzzles and the like.
- Video Game Flight: One of Scaler's transformations (the Doozum) lets him fly... but only in one level. Awww.
- Wall Crawl: One of Scaler's abilities.
- Xray Sparks: When Bobby gets a jolt of electricity.