is an adventure video game created by Tecmo and first released in Japan under the name Argus no Senshi
(Warrior of Argus
). The player assumes the role of the "Legendary Warrior" who travels through a hostile, monster-filled landscape, his only defense the mystical Diskarmor, a shield with a long chain attached to it.Rygar
was first released as an arcade game, later ported to the Sharp X68000, Commodore 64
, the NES
, Sega Master System (Japan only; as Argos no Jūjiken
), Spectrum 48K, Amstrad 6128 and the Atari Lynx. It was also included in a compilation of games called Tecmo Classic Arcade
for the Xbox
. The Lynx port of Rygar
closely followed the arcade version, and the NES port was completely different. In November 2002, Rygar
was updated and released to the PlayStation
2 as Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
, and ported to the Wii under the title Rygar: The Battle of Argus
This video game contains examples of:
- Anime Hair/Heroic Albino: Rygar's redesigned look in Battle of Argus.
- Antagonist Title: In the Japanese version (arcade and NES), Rygar refers to the main villain (also spelled "Ligar"), while the hero is only referred to as "The Legendary Warrior".
- Better by a Different Name: Legendary Adventure/Battle for Argus usually gets compared (unfavorably) to the God of War series, despite having beaten that game to market by three years.
- Genre Shift: From straight action side-scroller in the arcade, to 2D Metroidvania for the NES, to 3D Metroidvania for the PS2 and Wii.
- Giant Flyer: Epolcons, which drop eggs on the hero's head.
- Giant Spider: Sagila, the boss of Sagila's cave.
- Improbable Weapon User: The Legendary Warrior's Diskarmor, which is replaced in successive playthroughs of The Legendary Adventures with various types of pizza.
- Killer Yo-Yo: The Diskarmor.
- Nintendo Hard: There used to be an actual youtube video entitled something like "Rygar gameovers" which basically had a playthrough with a long list of deaths, from falling in a pit on the worldmap to getting killed one way or another).
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The princess in the PS2 game is unmistakably modeled after Britney Spears.
- Summon Magic/Smart Bomb: Your Limit Breaks in the PS2 game.
- When Trees Attack: The Kinobles.