Video Game: Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
was a licensed Jurassic Park
action game with a platform setup for the Sega Genesis
, and a sequel to the first Jurassic Park game on that system. Unlike it's predecessor, it basically throws all the rules of the first game out the window. The game allows the player to choose between Dr. Grant or the Velociraptor. If you choose to play as Dr. Grant, by default you start out with a dart gun that has infinite ammo. But there is a wide selection of weapons available for the player to obtain throughout the game. The variety of weapons in the game include an assault rifle, shotgun, taser, flame-thrower, grenades, rocket launcher, and shock rifle. As Dr. Grant you travel through fighting military type men, possibly private InGen protection, and dinosaurs until you are able to escape the island by boat.
If the player decides to play as the Velociraptor you win battles with physical attacks such as biting and whipping your tail. An interesting bonus for the Velociraptor is if you collect enough Lysine Cases you are able to go into "Rampage Mode" where the screen turns red and you become invincible for a limited amount of time. As the Velociraptor you play all the same levels as Dr. Grant allowing you to escape the island by hiding on a cargo boat.
Instead of the linear gameplay of the previous game, Rampage Edition allowed players to choose from three levels to complete before they were allowed to proceed to the final levels in order to win the game.
- Actionized Sequel: Rampage Edition eschews the previous game's slow, clunky gameplay style and ratchets up the action and tension.
- Everything Is Trying to Kill You: Yes, everything, even other humans in Grant's mode for some reason.
- Infinite Supplies: The dart gun's infinite ammo. Best of all, if you have a turbo controller you can make it shoot as fast as the machine gun.
- Logo Joke: At the beginning the T-Rex's roar as it stands below the Sega logo sounds like it's saying "Sega!"
- Mirror Match: The final boss for the Velociraptor is another Velociraptor, with all of the same moves.
- Monster Is a Mommy: The Velociraptor is actually searching for a place to nest; it just so happens to be on a cargo ship that will take it to the mainland.
- One-Hit Kill: The taser gun does this.
- Rise to the Challenge: At the end of the cargo ship level in Dr. Grant's mode he must flee rising water as the ship presumably sinks.
- Stock Scream:
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! AAAA!
- Super-Persistent Predator: The seemingly invincible T-Rex in Dr. Grant's last level will keep chasing Grant to the end no matter how many grenades or rockets are hurled at it.
- Super Mode: The Raptor has one.
- Took a Level in Badass: Dr. Grant certainly has. Who knew a paleontologist could be so trained in handling weapons?
- A Winner Is You: After beating the game all you get is a shot of Dr. Grant escaping to a cargo ship offshore in his raft, with a volcano in the background for Rule of Cool and an Epic Riff. You get almost the same screen when playing as the Velociraptor.
- X-Ray Sparks: The taser is so powerful its victim's skeleton will flash for a second before collapsing into dust.