Video Game: Crystals Pony Tale
Released for the Sega Genesis in 1994, Crystal's Pony Tale is a platform game designed for young children starring Crystal, essentially a My Little Pony with her Serial Numbers Filed Off. She must stop an evil witch who has imprisoned her seven rainbow-colored friends, each of which require a color-coded crystal hidden somewhere to free.The easy difficulty and saccharine tone of this game would certainly put off older gamers, but it has its own special charm.A Sega Master System version of this game was planned, but was cancelled due to poor sales.
This game contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: What the witch does to most of Crystal's friends. The placements are random so one of them could be encased in a cave wall and another could be rendered to a simple outline on a carousel.
- Bat out of Hell: The bats in the river level swooping in and out of the windows of the old bridge.
- Bee Afraid: The bees that drop honey on you, which are accompanied by "Flight of the Bumblebee".
- Card-Carrying Villain: The witch.
- Cash Gate: To move forward in a stage, Crystal must give up either 5, 10 or 15 horseshoes at checkpoints, depending on the difficulty.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Crystal's friends and the gems.
- Complete Immortality: Getting hurt simply causes Crystal to lose a few horseshoes necessary for exiting stages.
- Creepy Circus Music: The carousel towards the end of the barn/grass level has this.
- For the Evulz: The witch doesn't seem to have any motivation for capturing Crystal's friends other than this.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: Crystal must save all seven of her friends to complete the game.
- Magical Mystery Doors: A simple version of this appears early on in the game.
- Mineral MacGuffin: The seven rainbow-colored crystals.
- My Little Phony: Cutesy, candy-colored equines in a magical fantasy world? What else could it be?
- Plot Coupon: Again, the seven crystals which are needed to save Crystal's friends.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: Nearly every song in this game is a classical piece, most notably Johannes Brahms' "4th Symphony, 2nd Movement" and Gabriel Faure's "Dolly Suite, Op. 56".
- Rainbow Motif: Crystal's friends, which include the color indigo.
- Sugar Bowl
- Taken for Granite: One of Crystal's friends could be trapped behind a cave wall.
- Vile Villain Saccharine Game: The witch. She shows up during random points in the game to impede Crystal's progress.