Video Game: Crystal Caliburn
Crystal Caliburn is a digital Pinball game produced by LittleWing Co., released in 1993 for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh computers. It is generally regarded as one of the hardest pinball games in LittleWing's library.The game itself is a pinball interpretation of the Quest for the Holy Grail, with the player as King Arthur. He must first assemble the Knights of the Round Table, then send a single Knight (ball) on a quest to Glass Island and retrieve the Grail. Along the way, the player can acquire artifacts like a Magic Shield, Magic Spear, and Excalibur, and face challenges such as Surprise Attacks, encounters with the Devil Dragon, and the Last Battle.A sequel, Crystal Caliburn II, was released in 2012 for Windows and Macintosh computers, iOS, and Android phones.
This pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Alliterative Title
- The Dragonslayer
- Excalibur: The game is named after the sword ("Caliburn"), and it is one of the knightly weapons to be retrieved.
- King Arthur: The player is Arthur.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me
- Nintendo Hard
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Public Domain Artifact: Excalibur ("Caliburn") and the Holy Grail.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: The quest for the Holy Grail must be performed by one Knight, by himself.
- Timed Mission: To retrieve the Holy Grail, the player must send one Knight to Glass Island, get the Grail, then return it to Camelot Castle before time runs out.
- Top-Down View