The first game of the planned "iDGi-1 Trilogy", Consortium
is a first person meta-RPG released in January 2014 by Interdimensional Games, and through going the route of Omikron: The Nomad Soul
, Analogue: A Hate Story
, the player (As in, you, the very person sitting at your computer), is a character in the story itself.
The idea is that the developer of this game has created a satellite uplink allowing the player to travel through a digital rift in reality, and enter the body of international peacekeeping consortium officer Bishop Six in order to help the crew investigate a mysterious murder that occurred on board the C-3800-D "ZENLIL" Consortium Command vessel
on December 21st, 2042. The player has a choice between using lethal force or diplomacy in figuring out this mystery, with the relationships forged with the crew altering the outcome of the story.
Consortium contains examples of:
- Cool Plane: The entire game takes place on one.
- Die Hard on an X: The game is best described as the player logging into an interdimensional satellite uplink to investigate a moment of Die Hard on a Futuristic Passenger Plane, albeit with violent guerrilla tactics being optional.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Part of the game's story appeal is how characters start to figure out that Bishop Six is actually being controlled by someone else. As in, the player. As in, you.
- Foe Yay: In-Universe, as Rook-25 thinks Kiril harasses their flight so often because he's attracted to Knight-15. Given his banter with her during the negotiation, she might be right.
- Meta Fiction: The real world that the player resides in forms part of the game's backstory.
- Motor Mouth: Pawn-44 (Charlie) is this and a bit Keet.
- No Name Given: The character the player controls, Bishop Six, has his real name left unrevealed in order to prevent what the Kickstarter page describes as a "temporal breakdown".
- Oh, Crap: During the investigation, Adelle provides a Bilingual Bonus example when the person she's talking about is Right Behind Me.
: Do you remember how you thought the Bishop
embarrassed you in the brig earlier?
Adelle: You truly do not know when to stop with the jokes, do you?
Charlie: Well, if you just turn around right now, you can find out what embarrassment really feels like.
Adelle: Oh merde.
- Themed Aliases: The major characters in the game all bear the name of chess pieces.