Video Game: Chuzzle
Chuzzle is a Casual Video Game from PopCap Games for computers (in both CD-ROM form and through Steam). Like so many other Match Three Games, the player lines up groups of 3 or more like-colored Chuzzles to clear them from the board. However, rather than flip-flopping or turning the individual Chuzzles to make matches, the player drags an entire row or column to align the Chuzzles. Thus, any combination of Chuzzles will remove them from the board as long as at least one is adjacent to another.Clearing out a 2 x 2 block of Chuzzles will drop a Fat Chuzzle onto the board; they take up a 2 x 2 space and move two rows/columns at once when you move them. Clearing out 5 or more Chuzzles at once will leave behind a Super Chuzzle which will blow up when matched and clear out a 3 x 3 area, along with any Fat Chuzzles in the chain. Clearing 6 or more Chuzzles at once will net you extra points and move you through the level faster.As you progress, the game will increase the difficulty by randomly locking Chuzzles, which freezes their row and column until you make a match with it. If you run out of moves, you get two chances to scramble the board, which also removes all the locks. Additional scrambles can be earned at certain point levels.There are four main game types:
- Classic – The main game, with two variants:
- Casual - Locks don't start showing up until level 3 or 4, and Chuzzles will give you hints. You also get 1000x(level #) bonus points at the end of a level.
- Expert - The level-end point bonuses double, locks start coming as early as the first level, and the Chuzzles don't give hints.
- Speed – Like Classic, but you only have a set amount of time to make a move before a Chuzzle gets locked.
- Zen – An Endless Game, mainly for time-killing.
- Puzzle – Arranging Chuzzles to fit color patterns.
Tropes associated with this game include:
- Catching Some Z's: If you leave the game alone long enough, the Chuzzles will start falling asleep one by one, complete with Zs.
- Cephalothorax: The Chuzzle's heads are their bodies.
- Cool Shades: In the PC version, some Chuzzles will show up wearing huge sunglasses.
- Easter Egg:
- Clicking a Chuzzle multiple times will cause it to sneeze its fur off, which grows back shortly after. Doing this with a Fat Chuzzle will cause it to burp instead.
- Dragging a line back and forth repetitively will cause the Chuzzles on said line to get dizzy once you stop. On mobile versions, this can also be done by shaking the device.
- In the PC version only, leaving your cursor on a Chuzzle for a few seconds will cause the Chuzzle to get angry. If you leave it on longer, the Chuzzle will forcefully throw the cursor off itself.
- If you have unlocked the "Triple Combo", "Brainiac", "Puzzler", and "Ten Grand" achievements, clicking on them in that order unlocks a Bejeweled clone called "Bechuzzed".
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: There are rainbow-colored Chuzzles. Matching them are worth more points.
- Gasshole: If you click on a Fat Chuzzle enough times, it will let out an enormous belch (see the page pic).
- Letting the Air Out of the Band: When you run out of moves and scrambles, the background music slows to a halt.
- Match Three Game: With the twist that you move the rows/columns instead of the individual Chuzzles.
- Notice This: If you're playing the Casual version of the Classic game and can't find a move, just wait a bit and a Chuzzle that can be played will roll its eyes. Let it sit even longer and the Chuzzle will twitch and roll its eyes. This keeps you from having to use the Hint button since that takes away from your level progress.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Chuzzles themself. (Cute enough for some copies of Chuzzle to come with little googly-eyed Chuzzle squeaky toys.)
- Stat Meters: The eyes of popped Chuzzles fly into the big flask and fill it as you progress through a level, then pop out in a rush when you complete the level. While they're doing this, they emit a sound that's reminiscent of how another game's disembodied eyes sounded when they moved...
- Video Game Cruelty Potential:
- Clicking/tapping repeatedly on a Chuzzle will tickle it, then make it cough, then sneeze, then let out a huge sneeze that blows its fur off for a couple of seconds.
- Moving a row or column back and forth rapidly will dizzy its Chuzzles. Shaking your phone will do this to the whole board.
- If you leave a cursor on a Chuzzle for too long, it'll get mad and shake it off.