Tropers: Paradoxial Stratagem
""I am only as free as I ever believe myself to be, for freedom is a state of mind."
Troperwall Experiment is now Live: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Troperwall/ParadoxialStratagem Hey, what the heck are you doing on my page?! Relax, I'm assuming that you the reader must have stumbled onto this link by accident and certainly weren't actually curious enough to try and intentionally know more about me. I'm a fairly unknown troper and I've been around this site longer than what my statistics will tell you. I have a tendency to give a helping hand to those pages that are...less than satisfactory in terms of grammatical accuracy. I am an 19-year-old (For the moment) Caucasian male American whose name is [REDACTED]. My favorite color is green, my hobbies include video games, reading books, playing video games about reading books, and reading books about video games. I also have a fixation with capsaicin and am a bit of an audiophile when it comes to music. Keep in mind that this profile is not permanent. More information may or may not be added depending on a combination of factors such as how comfortable I am with adding more information. Philosophy: Realistic Optimist Favorite fields: Sciences such as chemistry and biology with some physics, and various different video games. Did I also mention that I know how to play some keyboard and guitar? I also know some martial-arts and am becoming quite experienced in the field of computer science. Positive traits: Can learn quickly, supports an Egalitarian view of Gender Equality, Honest, Tries to be kind, loyal to true friends, does not give up on things perceived to be important, tolerant of many controversial states of being. Gives nothing but best effort on important things. Flaws: Tends to be self-loathing, not very good with patience. Does not make friends easily. Romantically Ignorant. Does not handle high levels of stress well. ('Still in Progress')
Tropes that Apply to this Troper
- Arc Words: "Everything always happens for a reason, even if you don't understand it."
- The Anti-Nihilist: Despite all the challenges, shortcomings and flaws of the world I still strive to improve it for the next generation and myself.
- Apologizes a Lot: I end up apologizing for more than I need to frequently. I apologize for apologizing so profusely, I'm sorry I wasted your time, and I'm sorry that this even had to happen.
- Bad Liar: The best I can pull off are half-truths. Any real lie will cause me to start laughing at myself for it. Can be done deliberately for humor.
- Berserk Button: Due to my calm and collected nature, it takes a lot to trigger what few berserk buttons I have. If you know what's good for you, DO NOT excessively instigate me or any of my close, few friends in combat. I will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to make sure you lose and I win.
- Beware the Nice Ones/ Good Is Not Nice: I am usually not hostile, however my brutal honesty is something to fear if you truly deserve it. Plus even though I'm not a strongman, I'm nothing close to weak in terms of physique.
- Brown Eyes: And man I wish they weren't....
- Brutal Honesty: I'd rather be known as honest but blunt instead of deceitful yet nice.
- Comically Serious: Most notably in any situation that involves NSFW humor, either giving faces that express disdain or confusion.
- The Determinator: I do not give up easily. I seem to have this defiance to failure.
- Disapproving Look: A common indicator that I'm not amused. The alternatives are much worse.
- Everybody Hates Math: Averted. I don't completely suck at it, even though it's not my forte.
- The Faceless: My real life form is this, that's all you need to know.
- The Fatalist: I believe that free-will is but a mere illusion...yet it's worth preserving.
- Gentleman and a Scholar: It's what I strive to work on every day of my life.
- Good Is Not Dumb: I may have insecurities of my worth at times, but I can prove I'm no idiot.
- Guilt Complex: If there's any group project that goes wrong (rarely does), any mistake made...I always blame myself...and I'm usually right.
- Hates Being Touched: Averted for very few people. Normally I'm just not comfortable with it for some reason.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Does this a little too much.
- His Own Worst Enemy: Not as bad as it used to be though. I'm my harshest critic, even more so than most people would normally be.
- Insecure Love Interest: Subverted, as in there's nothing to be interested in or love.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: To an extent, even though my nation has its flaws and mistakes, I accept it for what it is.
- Neutral Good: I do what is right not because I'm ordered or compelled to, but because I want to. I don't need some unnecessary doctrine with superfluous, and often times false, definitions of right and wrong.
- Pragmatic Hero: Although I'm not really a hero or villain in Real Life, my intentions are for the greater good and I'll do whatever when and if necessary.
- Proud to Be a Geek: And don't you forget it!
- Playing Against Type: Most of the time I'm a fairly collected individual, however I can easily portray a boisterous, overly emotive type on command.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: I tend to do this unconsciously, but I'm not as bad I used to be.
- Sophisticated as Hell: I'm the only person I know who enjoys good chats about philosophy, science-fiction and spiritualism, yet also enjoys weird internet humor and sometimes acting insane. (Then again, I don't know many people).
- Stoic: Downplayed, my emotions are restrained but they're still existent...in small amounts.
- Not So Stoic: If you're a good friend of mine, I tend to reduce the amount of restrictions I place on my emoting to the point where you'd think I was somebody else.
- Think Nothing of It: My attitude towards people; especially female, if I do a favor or something nice.
- The Spook: Tends to come off this way...unless you get to know me.
- Token Single Guy: A member of a trope that the community just seems GREATLY opposed towards acknowledging the existence of. In any setting where couples are prominent, I'm the odd one out.
- Verbal Tic: Oh where do I begin? Somehow the words "Somehow, seems, personally, honestly" and various qualifiers end up repeating in my vocabulary.
- My unrestrained form tends to use the term BADASS, frequently interchanging it between being an adjective and a noun.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?? : I still can't seem to quite figure out the math...I keep getting domain errors.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Or to be more accurate, know all four forms of said concept. I'm completely ignorant of deep affection and hope to be enlightened one day.
- Blinx the Time Sweeper
- Castle Crashers
- Crash Bandicoot (Numbers 1-5 That weren't spin-offs!)
- Dead Rising 2
- Fire Emblem (Although I've never played it)
- Fuzion Frenzy
- Half-Life 2
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Knights Of The Old Republic
- Left 4 Dead
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Mechwarrior and all Battle Tech
- Metroid Prime Wii Trilogy
- Pikmin 1-3
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Spore (BEFORE it wrecked my computer)
- Super Smash Brothers Brawl
- Team Fortress 2
- This War of Mine
Favorite Book Series
- Among The Hidden
- The City of Ember
- The Edge Chronicles
- Ender's Game
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- The Tripod Trilogy
- Game Informer
Favorite Comic Strips
- Dark and Troubled Past: When appropriately used as a device for strengthening a character, instead of merely making them "edgy" or "angsty", which I strongly dislike.
- Hidden Depths: You'll think twice before dismissing that seemingly average person as a nobody, they could be a ninja for all you know.
- Humongous Mecha/ Walking Tank: All impracticalities aside, it's just...beautiful engineering!
- Genius Bruiser: To the point of it being my ideal role model. Proof that one does not have to sacrifice brains for brawn or vice versa.
- Genre Buster: A perfect challenge for a perfect game.
- Loner-Turned-Friend: Perfect for Character Development!
- Power Armor: Useful when there are no mechs available.
- Science Hero: If they aren't dependent on technology, but rather remains its master.
Tropes I Strongly Dislike
- All Men Are Perverts: Can't tell what's worse, the fact that the media makes it seem like all men NEED to be perverted in order to be considered worthy of having their existence acknowledged by women or the fact that it makes men look like they have about as much depth as a piece of paper.
- Chainmail Bikini: I could think of so many ways to exploit the obvious flaws of that pathetic excuse perverted men (and yes even women) call "armor."
- Double Standard: Most of them are fallacious and otherwise useless in reality.
- Human Aliens: Horribly unoriginal under most cases unless they happen to be humans that lived on another planet that just call themselves another name due to a different language.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: I often refer to this trope as the "Hipster's Fallacy". The truth is just because something's popular doesn't necessarily mean it sucks, and just because something's unpopular doesn't always mean it's any good.
- Ludd Was Right: Not only do most modern examples fail to accurately reference this trope, there's a reason this advanced tech exists in the first place: necessity!
- Men Are the Expendable Gender: As a person who believes that all humans male or female are created equal, this trope offends me deeply.
- Scandal Gate: There is NO basis for adding the suffix -gate to any kind of scandal! The Watergate Hotel scandal was not the first ever recorded in history and this so-called "necessary suffix" I keep reading whenever people start reacting adversely to something is STUPID AND UNNECESSARY! Seriously, you're not making anything sound more dramatic or relevant with this naming scheme, IT HAS NO MEANING!
- Sex Equals Love: Ever heard of a rapist?
- Science Is Bad: Oh it's SOOOOO evil, having all these technological innovations that also make life not only more convenient but have revolutionized mankind for the better / sarcasm. In reality science and technology aren't inherently good nor evil, they only reflect upon those who use it and how they decide to.
The Dossier of Recommended Tropers AKA The Awesome List