Trivia: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet
- Breakaway Pop Hit: The soundtrack exposed a few songs, most notably The Cardigans' "Lovefool" and the choral version of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" (nowadays known as "Wear Sunscreen").
- Dawson Casting: Originally the 14 year old Natalie Portman was cast as Juliet, but the director thought that the much older Leonardo DiCaprio looked like he was "molesting her", so the 16-year old Claire Danes was hired instead.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Star-Making Role: For Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.
- Theme Tune Cameo: A version of The Love Theme from the 60's Franco Zefferelli adaptation plays in the background at one point.
- Unintentional Period Piece: This is a very 90s kinda movie, stylistically and visually.
- What Could Have Been: Not only was Natalie Portman supposed to play Juliet before Claire Danes, but John Leguizamo wanted to play Mercutio, before being cast as Tybalt.