- Bad Export for You:
- When the triple-film DVD came out in 2009, many expected all three movies, including this one, to be widescreen unlike the previous VHS and DVD release. Sadly...no dice. This was later remedied with the triple feature Blu-ray release in 2016.
- No Western DVD release has included the Japanese version. This is par for the course for Pokémon, but the Japanese version of this movie is in greater demand than the other movies due to its differences from the English version.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: This film as well as the latter two movies took years to get a Blu-ray disc release thanks to years of disputes between Warner Bros. (the licensees of the movies for all territories except Japan), The Pokemon Company, Nintendo and Toho. By The New Tens, fans we're getting irritated over having to deal with the 4:3 aspect ratio of the DVD and VHS releases and pushed for the disputes to end so they could get the films remastered for high definition. The disputes were finally resolved in December 2015, and a Blu-ray disc release of all three movies in a triple-feature Steelbook pack was announced for release in February 2016, in time for the Pokémon franchise's twentieth anniversary!note
- Throw It In: The commentary remarked that Misty's "please, no" reaction to Ash's death was originally, jokingly ad-libbed by Rachael Lillis as "my bike!" when trying to find a workable two-syllable reaction to said event.
- Urban Legend of Zelda:
The real one is real. If they fight only using bodies without skills, the true ones will not be beaten by their copies.
- There's a rumor circling that Mew in the Japanese version said that the originals were inferior and should perish. According to Meowth (Nyarth in this version) its dialogue was:
- Unintentional Period Piece: The English dub's soundtrack is a nice little time capsule of late 90s bubblegum pop.
- What Could Have Been: This film was originally going to serve as the finale to the series, but then the series was renewed and the whole film was rewritten. The Japanese teaser trailer shows clips from the original planned film.