- What Could Have Been: George Lucas tried to get the rights to Flash Gordon to make his own movie. When blocked by Dino DeLaurentiis, Lucas decided to make his own space adventure series.
- Americans Hate Tingle: The movie didn't do great in the US, but it was a mega hit in Great Britain. So much so that it's considered a classic there.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Ming never actually says "Pathetic earthlings, who will save you now?" Except in the trailer.
- Ming does say "Pathetic earthlings", a lot. (ie. "Pathetic earthlings, hurling yourself out into the void...")
- Doing It for the Art: Playing Vultan was BRIAN BLESSED's lifelong dream.
- Promoted Fanboy: BRIAN BLESSED has admitted in interviews that when he and his brother used to play a game based on the TV series he always wanted to be Vultan. Decades later he got to play the same childhood game on the big screen.
- Stillborn Franchise: The actors signed up for a trilogy of films a la Star Wars, and there was a spinoff children's TV show.
- Throw It In: Flash jumping into the camera screaming "YEAH!" was an improvisation by Sam Jones, as nobody could figure out how to end the movie.
- Vindicated by Cable
- What Could Have Been:
- The first draft of the script had, among other things, no Kala, Klytus being psychic, a Tiger Man aiding Flash, Ming having a group of Amazon warriors, and a proper swordfight between Flash and Ming.
- Directors considered for this film included Federico Fellini and Nicholas Roeg.
- All actors were signed for three movies, but problems with star Sam J. Jones during post-production (which led to Same Language Dub) pretty much killed the trilogy.