- Action Hero
- Back from the Dead: Before he gets executed, a doctor gives him an injection and says to him "This will help you on your way."
- Dumb Blonde
- Dumb Is Good
- Dumb Muscle
- Dye Hard: Sam Jones is a brunet.
- Mr. Fanservice: See Walking Shirtless scene
- Nice Guy
- Same Language Dub: Sam Jones's entire dialogue was dubbed by an unknown actor because Sam refused to do ADR for post production.
- Shirtless Scene: In the scene where he gets executed, he's wearing nothing but short tight underwear.
- Action Girl: In the scene where she escapes from Ming's palace
- Damsel in Distress
- Dye Hard: Melody Anderson is a blonde
- Fake American: Melody is a Canadian
- What Beautiful Eyes!
- Absolute Xenophobe: If a sapient species shows signs of regarding sudden catastrophes as proof of an alien enemy, he destroys their world.
- Abusive Parent: When Klytus decide to put the bore worms on Aura, he doesn't seem to care.
- Ambiguously Brown: Played by a white actor (Max von Sydow) but his facial hair, costumes and behaviour are pure Yellow Peril.
- Arch-Enemy: To Flash.
- Bald of Evil: Cower before his gleaming dome!
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: Practically verbatim.
- Beard of Evil: Shudder at his follicular wickedness!
- Dimension Lord: Rules the entire universe in the movie.
- The Emperor
- Expy: Is based on Fu Manchu.
- Galactic Conqueror
- Human Aliens
- Multiversal Conqueror: Some continuities put Mongo in a parallel universe and have him trying to invade ours.
- No Body Left Behind: In the movie he collapses into energy and gets absorbed into his ring.
- Race Lift: In some continuities to avoid racist implications. The 2007 TV show makes him white and the the '90s cartoon makes him reptilian.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: In the 1996 cartoon.
- Sadist: He admits to destroying entire civilizations for his own pleasure.
- The Sociopath: He has no love for anyone, not even his own daughter, beyond their use to him.
- Yellow Peril: An alien inspired by this trope.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Inverted: her torture with Ming's approval not only alienates her from him but seems to improve her general ability to empathise with other people.
- Femme Fatale
- Heel–Face Turn: She helps Flash and his friends defeat Ming after he let her be tortured.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She cheats on Barin with many men. But she still loves him.
- Ms. Fanservice: And HOW!
- Really Gets Around
- Too Kinky to Torture: Klytus remarks that she actually seemed to enjoy the bore worms. Although in context it's clearly a lie and just Klytus being an arsehole to Barin.
- What Beautiful Eyes!
- Your Cheating Heart
Dr Hans Zarkov
- Ambiguously Jewish: Played by Topol for a start. His Mental Picture Projector scene implies memories of the Holocaust, and the Talmud is among the list of things he says he used for Psychic Static.
- The Determinator: Manages to resist Klytus's brain-emptying and brainwashing treatment
- Herr Doktor
- Mad Scientist
- The Smart Guy
- They Called Me Mad!
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Essentially kidnaps Flash and Dale after threatening his lab assistant with a gun to try to get him to go to space, but is still treated as a hero.
- Black Cloak
- Catch Phrase: "With Pleasure."
- Darth Vader Clone : At least looks-wise.
- The Dragon
- Evil Brit
- Rage Helm: Which never gets removed, even at his death.
- Stalker with a Crush: To Aura.
- Action Hero
- Defeat Means Friendship: He spends much of the film trying to kill Flash as a rival for Aura's affections, but finally teams up with him after Flash defeats him in a Duel to the Death but spares his life.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The cultured version to Vultan's outright barbarian.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Usually he carries a large, wicked-looking war club - and relishes chances to use it - but he also enjoys knocking mooks out with a hammerlike blow of those meaty fists.
- BRIAN BLESSED: One of the iconic roles that established Mr. BLESSED as the go-to man for large portions of ham.
- Large Ham: See above.
- Memetic Mutation: "Gordon's alive?" BRIAN BLESSED said he can't go anywhere in Britain without people asking him to say it.
- No Indoor Voice: He bellows a lot.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: You want to fight about it? To the death, on a platform over a fifty-mile drop, with the tilting and the spikes?
- Winged Humanoid: He and all the other hawkmen.