- AFIS 100 Years 100 Thrills: #91
- AFIS 100 Years 100 Cheers: #62
- Backed by the Pentagon: Most of the extras in the battle scenes were played by Irish army reservists.
- Dawson Casting: Although Mel Gibson was nearly 40, his character was supposed to be in his twenties. Gibson also admitted he had always felt he was at least a decade too old to play Wallace.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Cicero is here to claim the right of a husband.
- What Could Have Been:
- The original script had the Irish fighting the Scottish, which is actually historically accurate.
- The bridge for the Battle of Stirling was supposed to be featured, but it was scrapped because it was too difficult to work with. A Scottish extra quipped "Aye, that's what the English found."