A popular collector-oriented line of toys produced by Bandai of Japan, well-known for its focus on sculpt quality, natural yet effective articulation and large accessory count. The line mainly produces Kamen Rider
figures, and as of 2011 Super Sentai
too, but it has ventured into various anime licenses such as Dragon Ball Z
, One Piece
, Tiger & Bunny
, Pretty Cure
, and To Love-Ru
Since its launch in 2008, it has become very popular thanks to its introducing of a robust yet highly articulated humanoid base body, and now has several spin-off lines:
- Figuarts ZERO, a line of Figuarts-sized statues primarily covering anime licenses such as Naruto.
- D-Arts, focusing on action figures for video game franchises.
- S.H. MonsterArts, articulated figures for kaiju series such as Godzilla.
Tropes specific to this toyline are...
- And Now For Something Completely Different: While known for making normally humanoid figures, Figuarts has branched out within their line to other things such as:
- The Rider Bikes (And the Ride Vendor)
- The contract Beasts from Ryuki (Including a Genocider the can split into Ouja's three beasts.)
- Power Dizer
- Itassha Robo which is the largest and most expensive Figuart to date! (It's in scale to the Akibarangers, fully transformable, and costs around US$500 — and this is a general release!)
- Considering it's also a Chogokin (hence the SH Figuarts x Chogokin in promotional material), this is given.
- Daft Punk. No, seriously, there are Daft Punk Figuarts◊.
- Development Hell: Quite a few, depressingly enough. Gosei Knight was revealed in mid-2010 and finally announced for release ... in April 2012. As a web exclusive. Some don't even get that far, such as the Kamen Rider Saga prototype that was shown and then shelved for reasons unknown.
- The DBZ sub-line in general, particularly Vegeta, Son Goku and the effect parts.
- This appears to happen quite regularly; something will be shown at a Tamashii event and then either disappear completely after it, or pop up months later with almost no foreshadowing. It's probably based on potential market demand.
- Dueling Products: Occasionally, with Figma (the most prominent comparisons being the Kamen Rider Ryuki/Dragon Knight and Accel World lines).
- Henshin Hero: The bulk of the lines output is of the Kamen Rider franchise, although it also caters to Super Sentai fans these days.
- No Export for You: Anything that is a Tamashii Web Exclusive, including the Tamashii Festival Expo sets. Unless you're willing to use a middleman service, that is.
- A special aversion: to promote the airing of Power Rangers Samurai, Bandai had the SHF Shinken Red and Shinken Gold sold in Toys R Us retailers; and yes, they're being sold in the original packaging and labeled as Shinkenger figures rather than being repacked and called Samurai figures. (Although, according to rumor, there is some resistance from the higher-ups in Japan to having the rest of the team make it stateside, presumably because the others are Web Shop Exclusive, and to prevent reverse-importing.) Finally averted for the other 4, but as part of a Power Rangers Samurai San Diego Comic-Con exclusive set which gives them metallic colors.
- Averted with Figuarts Black Condor which Bluefin managed to release stateside.
- The imported figures of Red Hawk (Which now comes with English manuals and packaging for the western release) from Choujin Sentai Jetman don't include the Jet Winger accessory from Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger, likely because of some rights issue.
- Thankfully averted for Ptera Ranger. She's a Tamashii Web Exclusive in Japan, but is a standard release in the US (since, of course, she's also the Mighty Morphin' Pink Ranger).
- Figuarts of Iron Man and War Machine are Japan-only, due to Hasbro's monopoly over 6' Iron Man action figures. Again, to get them, requires a middleman or special online shops.
- Currently, the only figurine franchise that's part of the Figuarts line not being released by Bluefin in the US are those connected to Pretty Cure.
- Spiritual Successor: To the Souchaku Henshin line.