Megami Device is a line of female action figures/model kits first released by Kotobukiya in late 2016. As with the FA girls, their goal was to tap into the Mecha Musume figure market in order to fill the void left by the effective death of Busou Shinki development.The girls inherit the spirit and design sense of their immediate predecessors, the Busou Shinki, with improved articulation over the original Multi Movable System (MMS) standard; their body type is dubbed the Machineca standard, which fans unofficially hail as the "MMS4" standard. They have lots of articulation and have a modular construction, allowing for tremendous amounts of customization which is helped by the fact that they retain compatibility with some older Shinki peg standards as well as the universal Kotobukiya MSG (Mobile Support Goods) 3mm peg system which is used by their model kits in other lines (There is even a neck peg adaptor that allows you to use Frame Arms Girl heads with their bodies, and the default neck peg can fit MMS3 Shinki heads if you unplug their original neck peg!).In-universe, they are 1:1 scale mecha musume robot girl figures that do battle in a similar fashion to the Shinki, only there is a greater emphasis on co-operative team combat with factional divisions along the lineup.A number of original Shinki designers, like Fumikane "Humida" Shimada and BLADE, have either created designs for this series or have expressed interest in making figures under the Machineca standard.Compare them to their duelling sister lineup, the Frame Arms Girls (and the regular mech-styled Frame Arms).Kotobukiya's Youtube Channel features several trailers for the Megami Device girls.
Waves of Megami Device girls:
- WISM (Women's Imperial Space Marines) series girls, with a solid infantry fireteam motif. There are four girls in this wave, although they are packaged in "pairs" with just enough parts to assemble either one girl in a pair per kit. They were launched over the start of 2017.
- Scout-Assault: Assault is the simple and straightforward basic girl, while Scout has a smirk and blonde braided twintails. They have a modest bust size.
- Sniper-Grappler: Grappler is a Dark-Skinned Blonde catgirl with a focus on close combat, while Sniper has a Hime Cut and can switch her weapon between Sniper Rifle and Flamethrower configurations. They have larger bust sizes compared to Scout and Assault.
- SOL (Sonic Operations Ladies) series girls, who have a more traditionally shinki-styled design. The two girls in this wave are sold separately.
- ASRA (Asura) is the third wave.
- A fourth wave, "Chaos and Pretty", was announced at a 4th-quarter 2017 toy fair. The two girls from this wave are technological Magical Girls in style, with the pink one wearing twintails and the purple one dressed as a Cute Witch.
Megami Device provides examples of these tropes:
- All Your Powers Combined: SOL Hornet and Roadrunner can combine their armor parts together into a single powerful suit of battle armor, as can ASRA Ninja and Archer.
- Badass Adorable: Well, yeah, they are cute little robot girl fighters bristling with weapons.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Just like their Shinki predecessors, they lack certain female attributes.
- Bare Your Midriff: The wave 1 and wave 2 (WISM and SOL) girls have a skintone belly plate that invokes this.
- BFG: WISM-Sniper has a sniper rifle which has a tremendous barrel length.
- Boobs of Steel: Invoked with WISM-Grappler, who has a large bust and is one of the strongest Megami Device girls physically.
- Boring, but Practical: The WISM girls, compared to the SOL girls, are rather plain and lack flashy abilities or powers, but they are hightly specialized and good at teamwork, and they have better stamina (battery life) in battle as they don't have any flashy gimmicks that would consume power.
- Catgirl: WISM-Grappler, who has cat ears.
- Cleavage Window: ASRA Archer has this with her battle armor off. It combines with her bare midriff to expose a lot of skin-tone plastic.
- Competitive Balance: The SOL girls trade off battery stamina for the power to fly and run quickly without sacrificing armor.
- Cute Machines: These little sweethearts are certainly adorable. SOL Hornet in particular has a cute pouty face, and WISM Sniper has blush stickers that add to her charm.
- Girlish Pigtails: WISM-Scout has her blonde hair done up in braided twintails.
- Gun Accessories: WISM-Scout has a small UAV Drone/Sensor that she can mount on her gun, while WISM-Sniper has barrel extensions that convert her gun into a sniper rifle or a flamethrower, as well as a tiny scope.
- Hartman Hips: All these girls are gifted with well-sculpted hips and waist and derriere, thanks to the standard Machineca bodytype.
- Kill It with Fire: WISM-Sniper can switch her weapon configuration to be a flamethrower.
- Knife Nut: WISM-Assault has an intimidating combat machete.
- Mecha Musume: The SOL girls in particular.
- Painted-On Pants: Just like the Shinki before them, these girls give the impression of wearing tights when not in combat configuration.
- Power Fist: Grappler has massive gauntleted hands for her combat configuration.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: The ASRA girls have skin-tone backpanels suggesting this.
- She's Got Legs: While all the Megami Device girls have long, slender legs, SOL-Roadrunner in particular has emphasis on them in her promo art and her combat configuration legs are also sleek and well-sculpted.