Tear Jerker / Nuzlocke Comics
Since Nuzlocke revolves around the concept of Pokémon
getting Killed Off for Real
, it's only natural that it would be filled with these moments.
"Our suffering had only begun."
- The pictured example. It has Ruby's first death on the team in the form of a poisoned Beautifly. What hurts more is that he was just a few moments away from the Pokemon Center.
- Repeated and arguably even sadder with Whiskers the Rattata, the first casualty of the FireRed run; the Hope Spot actually shows him getting healed before revealing it was all in the mouse's head as he dies happy.
- The finale of Season 1. Steven is down to his last Pokemon, Metagross. Ruby commands Absol to use Perish Song, as he knows that none of his remaining Pokemon can take Metagross one on one. On that same turn Absol is KO'd by a Meteor Mash, 3 Perish Song counters remaining. Ruby follows with Katie, and she is easily disposed by an Earthquake from Metagross, 2 Perish Song counters remaining. Now Ruby is down to his last Pokemon, Sceptile, and as a Hope Spot arrives he is reminded of all the Pokemon he lost to get there, and that everything was for a reason; he just had to survive until the end of the turn for the Perish Song to take effect.
- Then Metagross used Hyper Beam. And everything faded to white.
Nuzleaf: "And that ends the story of Ruby, a trainer who believed he had a great destiny, that everything was happening for a reason. Do you know what his last thoughts were, as he watched his first Pokemon die? "I just don't understand." Now isn't that just the saddest thing you ever heard?"
- Gulliver's Heroic Sacrifice.
- Pony's death definitely qualifies.
- Episode 29. Buddy, Doakes, Blamo. You shall be missed.
- Buddy's line: "Right... just one turn." as he grins is particularly heart-wrenching.
- Season 2, Episode 19 is probably the most heartbreaking non-death strip in the whole series. It details the end of Charmander and Squirtle's friendship, caused by Ruby's challenge.
- "You have to remind it what's important."
- The What is the Nuzlocke Challenge? page.
- And then during the showdown with Mewtwo, Sawyer is killed and Bruce is separated from Ruby, leaving him with no Pokemon left.
- Blastoise returning to Pallet to visit Bulbasaur, and both of them sitting under the stars in memory of Bruce.
- Ruby gets his first casualty in White: Hard Mode with Hank dying to N's Pidove. What makes it worse is that it was displayed in the form of a Gory Discretion Shot.
- After finally beating an opponent, and avenging Hank, Senor Fluf is the next to go down. His last words to Ruby ask if he saw him beat N's Pidove, proud of his accomplishment, right before he closes his eyes for good.
- Those same tears become bitter when N walks up and hits Ruby with a simple truth, that in turn potentially reopens every single tearjerker death in the past. "Yes, it is sad... But remember... They wouldn't have died... if you hadn't caught them."
- The reveal of Isis' identity. Even Katelyn is disturbed by what she sees...
- Meta-example. On late Feb 2017, the author would had his car broken into and have his 3DS and all his Pokémon games stolen. This meant that that he lost all of his friends in real life whether they lived through the story or not. The only legacy left of them would be the webcomic itself where he already written down the notes for White.
Emerald Comic - A Shoeless Adventure:
- Chapters 10 and 11. Each Pokémon gets a well-developed character, and when they die, it hits hard.
Freddy's Nuzlocke Adventures:
- Towards the end of his first run comes this. The music does not help.
- Rikishi's Heroic Sacrifice during the Champion battle. Complete with a flashback.
- In Landwalker's Yellow run, the death of Blue's Raticate, trampled by evacuees when the SS Anne burns/sinks. Complete with shots of Blue desperately screaming and searching for it.
- Also, Lun the Diglett's death.
- Amy's death to a self-destructing Koffing. Red's reaction after all of it concludes does not help.
- In Pearl, she loses her starter, who's been through everything with her to Fissure, of all things, during the Elite Four.
- The end of the Pearl run. Downer Ending doesn't even begin to cover it...
Kynim's Diamond Nuzlocke:
Kynim's White Nuzlocke:
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Kiki the Patrat was caught in one route and almost immediately killed by a Youngster's Lillipup.
- Walter's backstory He stayed with his former owner, who had dementia, until he passed away.
- Made all the worse when he performs a Heroic Sacrifice along with Freddie and a newly-caught Pidove in Pinwheel Forest.
- Mimi is nearly crushed by rocks and is saved at the last second by Jordan, at the expense of his life.
- And the next chapter focuses solely on the aftermath to show how major it was. Zach and Jojo's evolutions, even though it is their final forms, do not change the tone slightly.
- Jordan even got "Saddest Death" for the 2013 Nuzlocke Awards on the Nuzlocke forums. That is how much of a Tear Jerker it was.
- And another heart-wrenching death has been tallied up: Mimi's. At the hands of Marshal's Throh. Now she's Together in Death with Jordan...
- Imagine how poor Andy will react once it's found out...
- It gets worse when you realize that Zach is now the only original team member left from before the Pinwheel Forest massacre.
- And now Mimi won "saddest death" for 2016.
- The battle with N has begun and already things are going from bad to worse—Laila takes down Carracosta with one Petal Dance but Archeops resists it and swoops down on her. Zach jumps in to protect her, which leads to him losing an eye when his armor ricochets off of his flipper and hits his face, before wiping his attacker out with Surf. When Laila panics over what Zach did, Zach gives a rousing speech about how he doesn't want anything bad to happen to any of his teammates again...and as he does so, N's Klinklang is looming ominously behind him and charging up an electric attack...
- ...and is promptly defeated by Jojo. Crisis averted!
- N breaking down in tears when Nina defeats him. Even Nina feels bad for him at that point.
- Just when it looks like things are gonna get better, Ghetsis' Hydreigon shoots Zekrom in the chest with Dragon Pulse.
- It gets worse. Asha (the Hydreigon's name) proceeds to kill both REX and ANDY with a Focus Blast and a Fire Blast respectively after both of them fail to get their attacks of on him in time. Now time will tell of Zach, Laila and Jojo will survive the ordeal...
- And it keeps getting worse as Jojo goes Mama Bear on Asha, complete with Berserker Tears. It doesn't end well for her.
- Zach hacking Asha to pieces in the finale, crying Berserker Tears of his own as he does so.
- Zekrias and Reshai's farewell...
wizard898's Moemon: Hard Mode:
- A heartwarming picnic takes on a bittersweet air when Saya goes to help clean off her master's mouth and he rebuffs her.
- Ruru's Heroic Sacrifice, especially as her Static kicking in proves key to their victory. The expression poor Chu makes as it sinks in just makes it worse.
- Chapter 21: Volt's death. Just to see a poor sweet little girl implied to be beaten to death...that just sucks. Doubles as a You Bastard moment for Team Aqua.
- 22 rubs salt in the wound, as Tooh blames their trainer for what happened, calling him weak and refusing to follow him any longer. Umpa joins her.
Nonparael's Nuzlocke Runs:
- The three-part Episode 10 of the Moemon LG run, combines this with Wham Episode: first, Gale Oak reveals he knows what the heroine is trying to accomplish, calling her cause 'crazy'. Then he forces Sienna's charmander friend Allie to kill Sienna, followed up by Tia's death. The heroine reveals herself as a moemon Weepingbell, but Gale has her pokeball, and Nail performs a Heroic Sacrifice. To rub it all in, Gale mocks her afterwards.
- In the Black run, Nineveh's death from Part 43.◊
Bruce Wayne's Platinum Nuzlocke:
- The death of Barbara against Jupiter's Skuntank. The reactions from the rest of the team only serve to make it all the more tragic and heartrending.
Mike's Crystal Nuzlocke:
- Shuckie's death is quite saddening. It's amazing to see the death of a Shuckle being so sad.
Lenni's White Run:
- It's like watching your dog die. No, literally. To make matters worse his body shows up in later pages during the rest of the battle.
Aouli's "The Meek" LG:
- The death of Kat the Raticate in Rock Tunnel. The author's description of her own reaction as it happened qualifies too.
Robin's Emerald Nuzlocke:
- After spending about four pages rounding out Lassie's character he's killed by a random kid's Nincada.
"It's a Hard Life" Leaf Green Nuzlocke:
- When half the cops in Kanto are after Robin and trainers keep trying to kill her for the reward, Lt. Surge is the first person who actually tries to help, treating her as a child instead of a criminal. But the combination of bad luck, miscommunication, and a terrified, homeless and armed 10-year-old means Elektra loses her remaining eye.
Nix's Fire Red Nuzlocke:
- Rick being killed by a wild Spearow. Nix is devastated.
- Said wild Spearow is caught and named Dredd. He evolves into a Fearow, only to be killed by Misty's Starmie.
- After being told that she couldn't control her Pokemon in battle, Nix orders Charlie to "go wild," and this leads to Charlie burning Rupert (Gary's Raticate) alive. Surprisingly, this is treated as a Gory Discretion Shot.
Jet's Black Nuzlocke:
- Our first casualty: Broccoli the Pansage, dying to save the Munna he has a crush on.
- Bottles' death, not helped by him being a Kamina expy.
- Lilly's death may be the worst so far—we get a five second Hope Spot before she narrates a heartwrenching monologue about how unfair it is that she has to die now and how much she wishes it could have lasted longer as she plummets to her death. Her funeral afterward is also heartbreaking, with Jet wallowing in guilt and her Pokemon crying at Lilly's grave. Special mention goes to Firedog, who just sits there at her grave, too distraught to even say anything.
- Jet getting pushed so far into the Despiar Event Horizon that after the fourth gym she honestly tries to join N and Team Plasma and is only prevented from doing so by Juniper showing up.