Tear Jerker / Nuzlocke Comics
Since Nuzlocke revolves around the concept of Pokémon
getting Killed Off for Real
, it's only natural that it would be filled with these moments.
"Our suffering had only begun."
- The pictured example. It has Ruby's first death on the team in the form of a poisoned Beautifly. What hurts more is that he was just a few moments away from the Pokemon Center.
- The finale of Season 1. Steven is down to his last Pokemon, Metagross. Ruby commands Absol to use Perish Song, as he knows that none of his remaining Pokemon can take Metagross one on one. On that same turn Absol is KO'd by a Meteor Mash, 3 Perish Song counters remaining. Ruby follows with Katie, and she is easily disposed by an Earthquake from Metagross, 2 Perish Song counters remaining. Now Ruby is down to his last Pokemon, Sceptile, and as a Hope Spot arrives he is reminded of all the Pokemon he lost to get there, and that everything was for a reason; he just had to survive until the end of the turn for the Perish Song to take effect.
- Then Metagross used Hyper Beam. And everything faded to white.
- Gulliver's Heroic Sacrifice.
- Pony's death definitely qualifies.
- Episode 29. Buddy, Doakes, Blamo. You shall be missed.
- Buddy's line: "Right... just one turn." as he grins is particularly heart-wrenching.
- Season 2, Episode 19 is probably the most heartbreaking non-death strip in the whole series. It details the end of Charmander and Squirtle's friendship, caused by Ruby's challenge.
- "You have to remind it what's important."
- The What is the Nuzlocke Challenge? page.
- And then during the showdown with Mewtwo, Sawyer is killed and Bruce is separated from Ruby, leaving him with no Pokemon left.
- Blastoise returning to Pallet to visit Bulbasaur, and both of them sitting under the stars in memory of Bruce.
- Ruby gets his first casualty in White: Hard Mode with Hank dying to N's Pidove. What makes it worse is that it was displayed in the form of a Gory Discretion Shot.
- After finally beating an opponent, and avenging Hank, Senor Fluf is the next to go down. His last words to Ruby ask if he saw him beat N's Pidove, proud of his accomplishment, right before he closes his eyes for good.
- Those same tears become bitter when N walks up and hits Ruby with a simple truth, that in turn potentially reopens every single tearjerker death in the past. "Yes, it is sad... But remember... They wouldn't have died... if you hadn't caught them."
Emerald Comic - A Shoeless Adventure:
- Chapters 10 and 11. Each Pokémon gets a well-developed character, and when they die, it hits hard.
Freddy's Nuzlocke Adventures:
- Towards the end of his first run comes this. The music does not help.
- Rikishi's Heroic Sacrifice during the Champion battle. Complete with a flashback.
- In Landwalker's Yellow run, the death of Blue's Raticate, trampled by evacuees when the SS Anne burns/sinks. Complete with shots of Blue desperately screaming and searching for it.
- Also, Lun the Diglett's death.
- Amy's death to a self-destructing Koffing. Red's reaction after all of it concludes does not help.
A Petty Nuzlocke Challenge:
- In Pearl, she loses her starter, who's been through everything with her to Fissure, of all things, during the Elite Four.
- The end of the Pearl run. Downer Ending doesn't even begin to cover it...
Kynim's Diamond Nuzlocke:
Kynim's White Nuzlocke:
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Kiki the Patrat was caught in one route and almost immediately killed by a Youngster's Lillipup.
- Walter's backstory He stayed with his former owner, who had dementia, until he passed away.
- Made all the worse when he performs a Heroic Sacrifice along with Freddie and a newly-caught Pidove in Pinwheel Forrest.
- Mimi is nearly crushed by rocks and is saved at the last second by Jordan, at the expense of his life.
- And the next chapter focuses solely on the aftermath to show how major it was. Zach and Jojo's evolutions, even though it is their final forms, do not change the tone slightly.
- Jordan even got "Saddest Death" for the 2013 Nuzlocke Awards on the Nuzlocke forums. That is how much of a Tear Jerker it was.
- And another heart-wrenching death has been tallied up: Mimi's. At the hands of Marshal's Throh. Now she's Together in Death with Jordan...
wizard898's Moemon: Hard Mode:
- A heartwarming picnic takes on a bittersweet air when Saya goes to help clean off her master's mouth and he rebuffs her.
- Ruru's Heroic Sacrifice, especially as her Static kicking in proves key to their victory. The expression poor Chu makes as it sinks in just makes it worse.
- Chapter 21: Volt's death. Just to see a poor sweet little girl implied to be beaten to death...that just sucks. Doubles as a You Bastard moment for Team Aqua.
- 22 rubs salt in the wound, as Tooh blames their trainer for what happened, calling him weak and refusing to follow him any longer. Umpa joins her.
Nonparael's Nuzlocke Runs:
- The three-part Episode 10 of the Moemon LG run, combines this with Wham Episode: first, Gale Oak reveals he knows what the heroine is trying to accomplish, calling her cause 'crazy'. Then he forces Sienna's charmander friend Allie to kill Sienna, followed up by Tia's death. The heroine reveals herself as a moemon Weepingbell, but Gale has her pokeball, and Nail performs a Heroic Sacrifice. To rub it all in, Gale mocks her afterwards.
- In the Black run, Nineveh's death from Part 43.◊
Bruce Wayne's Platinum Nuzlocke:
- The death of Barbara against Jupiter's Skuntank. The reactions from the rest of the team only serve to make it all the more tragic and heartrending.
Mike's Crystal Nuzlocke:
- Shuckie's death is quite saddening. It's amazing to see the death of a Shuckle being so sad.
Lenni's White Run:
- It's like watching your dog die. No, literally. To make matters worse his body shows up in later pages during the rest of the battle.
Aouli's "The Meek" LG:
- The death of Kat the Raticate in Rock Tunnel. The author's description of her own reaction as it happened qualifies too.
Robin's Emerald Nuzlocke:
- After spending about four pages rounding out Lassie's character he's killed by a random kid's Nincada.
"It's a Hard Life" Leaf Green Nuzlocke:
- When half the cops in Kanto are after Robin and trainers keep trying to kill her for the reward, Lt. Surge is the first person who actually tries to help, treating her as a child instead of a criminal. But the combination of bad luck, miscommunication, and a terrified, homeless and armed 10-year-old means Elektra loses her remaining eye.
Nix's Fire Red Nuzlocke:
- Rick being killed by a wild Spearow. Nix is devastated.
- Said wild Spearow is caught and named Dredd. He evolves into a Fearow, only to be killed by Misty's Starmie.
- After being told that she couldn't control her Pokemon in battle, Nix orders Charlie to "go wild," and this leads to Charlie burning Rupert (Gary's Raticate) alive. Surprisingly, this is treated as a Gory Discretion Shot.