Abel's StoryThe entire story arc is this but here are some key moments:
- Abel is forced to listen to Devin's final thoughts as he's thinking them.
- These two updates to Abel's Story.
Abel: But mostly..I just want her back...
- Also: Hennya's death in Abel's Story.
- When Abel visits his dying mother at the hospital and she stays alive just long enough to tell him that she always loved him before passing away] was especially potent for readers who have been in similar situations with their relatives.
- Earlier, we get the aftermath of Cindy's suicide and Abel's ruminations on it :
The Rest of the Series
- Mab's final goodbye to her mother.
- Pyroduck has to choose between Alexsi or his sense of security. He chooses Alexsi.
- "B... Brother?"
- Hannah's recent death.
- Even more painful: Anna collecting the ashes and visibly starting to fall apart emotionally.
- The tragic story of Aniz and Destania after the death of Siar, Aniz's clan leader, and the rest of the clan.
- "...I'm sorry. I wish I had loved you enough to remember you..."
- Abel talks sense into Dan, but it doesn't sound like it was meant for Dan.
- The fate of Hizell's mythos minion: Sent ostensibly to force a kill or be killed situation she's actually there to force Pyroduck to either kill or watch Mab kill someone once a month, every month in his defence. Despite this, she reveals she has faith that Pyro will find a third option...just not in time to save her, before knowingly invoking Mab's wrath whilst Pyro begs her to give him more time.
(After Pyro says there has to be a way out where everyone lives)
Mythos: Not for me. But who knows, maybe for my sisters. It is beyond me though. But if anyone is able to come up with something I would expect it to be Lord Hizell's son. Either way you have a month to try to figure it out...and for what it's worth? (gives a sad half smile) I wish you luck on that! However! This is no longer the time for words! THE MESSAGE HAS BEEN DELIVERED AND THUS IT IS THE TIME OF ACTION! IN LORD HIZELL'S NAME I SHALL STRIKE YOU DOWN!
Pyro: Wait! Just give me a few minutes and I can (VZZZVT!)...work...