Primevel: New World
is the Canadian Spin-Off
of the original Primeval
show. The series aired on the Space channel in late October of 2012, but was later aired on SyFy
in 2013, as well as Hulu. Like the original series, New World
centers around a group of scientists protecting the public from prehistoric beasts that were teleported into modern times via anomalies
. Unlike the original series, the show takes place in Canada, there's an entirely new cast (although Connor does have a cameo), and most of the creatures the team deals with only come from the past, not the past and the future.
Due to low ratings, the series was cancelled after its first season in 2013
This show provides examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: After the female Lycaenops is accidentally killed in "Undone," the male Lycaenops has a Villainous BSOD and growls quietly as he nudges her body with his muzzle. And then Mac coldly guns him down like he were just a rabid dog.
- Asshole Victim: Blake from "Angry Birds."
- Cerebus Roller Coaster: While the tone of the show is usually dark, every now and then a Breather Episode will appear to keep the show from being too dark.
- Cliff Hanger: The series ends with Mac sacrificing himself to save Evan from the past, Evan killing the Albertosaurus that killed his wife, and Dylan and Evan rushing back to the present after realizing that they made a horrible mistake when all the other anomalies begin to disappear.
- Darker and Edgier / Bloodier and Gorier: The series is much more serious than the original Primeval show, the monsters are more nightmarish and tend to maul their victims' corpses, and the main characters go through much more suffering. The first episode alone has a Sacrificial Lamb and multiple mutilated corpses being shown onscreen.
- Death by Origin Story: Brooke, Evan's wife.
- Downer Ending: Some of the episodes do not end on a bright note, particularly "Undone."
- Establishing Series Moment: The first episode has multiple dinosaurs appearing from multiple anomalies, several civilians getting killed, some of their mutilated bodies being discovered, a Death by Origin Story that would later be the center of a Wham Episode, and one of the characters who seemed like he would join the main cast getting brutally killed.
- Face-Heel Turn: Ange towards the end of the series, although she had her reasons.
- Feathered Fiend: The Titanis birds from "Angry Birds."
- Five-Man Band:
- Gory Discretion Shot: While most of the victims' bodies are shown, we do not actually see the victims being killed.
- Kill the Cutie:
- Pallavi in "Fear of Flying".
- Sam in "Undone".
- Lipstick Lesbian: Toby.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Skeezer from "Angry Birds."
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: In "Angry Birds," Blake is nothing more than some pot dealer who lazes around his plants and plays video games with his partner Skeezer. But then he takes Evan and Dylan hostage and holds them at gunpoint after they accidentally discover his stash of drugs.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Drake, Evan's best friend and Dylan's partner, gets killed halfway into the first episode.
- Shout Out: The fourth episode is named "Angry Birds", for obvious reasons.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- The cameraman from "Babes in the Woods" who took a picture of the seemingly hostile Ornitholestes with the flash on.
- Averted in the very same episode. After seeing the dinosaur, Nat, who you would expect to be a Dumb Blonde, sprints into a van, and then slams her foot on the gas pedal. She lives.
- Urine Trouble: Deconstructed in "Undone." Shortly after the team sedates the female Lycaenops, she pees all over Mac's shirt. And as a result, Mac accidentally led the male Lycaenops back to the Cross Photonics lab when he caught the scent of his piss-drenched shirt.
- Wham Episode:
- "Undone": A captured Lycaenops wakes up and attacks and kills Sam, Mac's girlfriend. Dylan accidentally kills the female Lycaenops while saving Toby, and Mac kills the male one in revenge for Sam's death.
- "Truth": Mac finds out that there's a past version of himself stored in a cryogenic freezer, and Ange, fed up with everything that's happened, decides to leave the team.