Series: Drunk History
Drunk History is a series that originated on FunnyorDie.com, then was picked up by Comedy Central in 2013.On Drunk History, series creator Derek Waters finds comedians, gets them really shitfaced, and has them narrate historical events to the best of their abilities. Their narration is acted out, with the actors lip-synching all the dialogue, including mild slip ups. The recreation is sometimes interrupted when the narrator needs to remember what they were saying, or puke, or lie on the ground.The FunnyorDie episodes are one short long. The Comedy Central episodes are three shorts long, with each episode taking place in a different city and the stories related to that city's history.The original show can be found here. Comedy Central's page for the show can be found here.
Drunk History provides examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Drunk people are easily distracted. Self-interruptions are often acted out in the recreation.
- Bathos: The main comedic conceit of the show, and a natural result of dramatic events narrated by the totes inebriated. Often created by talented players seriously acting the shit out of stupid dialogue.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Most drunken interruptions are the narrator addressing the crew, and often the actor will deliver the line, then look confused at the words that just came out of their mouth.
- Buffy Speak: Because it's hard to recite 19th century dialogue when you're super drunk.
- Christmas Episode: The Christmas episode is a recital of Twas The Night Before Christmas by Allan McLeod with half a bottle of whiskey in him.
- Funny Background Event: In the Boston episode, as a resident is waxing poetic in a thick Bostonian accent about how significant the city is to American history and culture, a fight breaks out in the background. He looks briefly, laughs, and continues.
- In Case You Forgot Who Wrote It: As the opening title, the actor credits, and the increasing amount of screen time before the stories start will remind you, this is Derek Waters' show.
- Quote Mine: Mostly done out of necessity, as rambling clips from late in the recording are inserted to fill the gaps in the narrative. Also Played for Laughs in some cases, such as when BJ Porter's comments about being dizzy and disoriented are used to showcase William Jennings Bryan's sudden embarrassment during the Scopes Monkey Trial.
- Stylistic Suck: Since the dialogue is "written" extemporaneously by someone three sheets to the wind, it sucks. But it's on purpose so it's ok.
- Played for Laughs with set pieces as well. In an episode about an Old West shootout, a scene involving a horse getting shot is played out using a giant stuffed horse.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Happens every so often. Duncan Trussell misses the toilet.
- You Look Familiar: Not only will certain celebrities like Jack Black or Jack McBrayer play multiple different roles throughout a season, but the same three or four supporting cast members (and Waters himself) can be seen in almost every episode.