A show about a group working under the ICC. Looking for serial killers and others that hide by crossing the boarders inside the European Union.
Detective Carl Hickman, formerly of the NYPD, was shot in the line of duty; he can no longer use his right hand. He is living in a carnival in Amsterdam, when he is approached by Detective Major Louis Daniel to join a new investigative unit under the International Criminal Court. Major Danielís son was killed by a bomb planted at his house. Michel Dorn is helping Major Daniel set up the new group to spot serial crimes being disguised by crossing the borders between European countries; he is also investigating the murder of Danielís son. He has worked with both Louis Daniel and his wife Rebecca, who prosecuted cases in the ICC.
Other team members come in from across the EU. Kommissar Sebastian Berger is a tech genius from Polizei Berlin in Germany; he has a gambling problem. Detective Tommy McConnel, weapons and tactical expert, was raised in an Irish Travelersí Camp, his dad put a 10,000 pound bounty on his head, when he joined the police; Sergeant Eva Vittoria, a former Mafia princess who is now anti-Mafia undercover and covert operations specialist, and Arabela Seeger (former member of the Rotterdam PD and "Jill-of-all-trades" policewoman). Detective Sergeant Anne-Marie San (criminal analyst and trafficking specialist) was part of the team until the first episode of the second season, when she left the show, with Arabela replacing her.
The show was dropped by NBC due to poor ratings (2.06 million for the season one finale), but was picked up by Amazon Prime Instant Video for the second season (which debuted on August 15, 2014 in Europe). As there are currently no plans for Netflix to carry the series, it initially appeared that North American viewers were out of luck, but the second season has since appeared on various file sharing websites.
Tropes in this series include:
- Abusive Parents: In Tommy's backstory he was part of an Irish Travelers' Camp. When he joined the police, his father put a hit out on him.
- Accidental Aiming Skills: Season 1 - Episode 7: Animals - Hickman shoots the gun out of a suspect's hand. Tommy even says "That was pretty impressive, shot the gun right out of his hand" Hickman replies "Yeah, well I was aiming for his head. I told you I'm not left handed." (Hickman's right hand was injured and he cannot use it).
- Adult Fear: Detective Major Louis Daniel and his wife, Rebecca Daniel, are living this. Louis' backstory and possible motivation for setting up the unit is the murder of his son. The covert side investigation into the boy's death is one of at least two arcs in the first season. He has learned the Russian may have planted the bomb that killed his son. The Russian is also running the crew in the second episode. Turns out the son was not the target - Rebecca was.
- Anyone Can Die: In Pilot - Part 2 Sienna, one of the cops is killed, just after the kidnapped Anne-Marie is saved because she disrupts the serial killer's ritual. In the second season opener we find out that Anne-Marie died in a car crash, and in the second season finale Louis is shot and killed.
- Diplomatic Impunity: Dealt with this in the pilot, as the serial killer was a member of the diplomatic corps.
- Interpol Special Agent: In real life, the International Criminal Court deals with war crimes and genocides committed by governments and quasi-governments. They have no police force of their own, and no interest in crimes committed by individuals, no matter how bloody. You only have to look at the rows created by the European Arrest Warrant to see how much fury any proposal to implement this show's concept in real life would cause, a fact of which the show's producers are more then aware as, in every episode, the team receives only reluctant assistance from the local police departments.
- Wham Episode: The season two finale. the psychiatrist was in on the whole thing, is a sociopath and murders Louis by shooting him several times in cold blood. Meanwhile Eva has discovered her father is still alive and goes missing while looking for him, leaving Dorne to find a huge pool of blood on her bed.