is a ghost-related Docu Drama
series airing on the Discovery Channel
from October 2005 to November 2007 and resuming October 2012 on Destination America. Each episode features a story that may or may not
be grounded in reality. The story is reenacted by actors on camera and interviews with the eyewitnesses are featured in the hour-long program. The locations and intensity of any given haunting varies from episode to episode. Sometimes features Spooky Seances
and Spirit Advisers.
The show A Haunting shows examples of the following tropes:
- Abandoned Laboratory: Featured in several episodes.
- Big Fancy House: Usually at low, low prices.
- Cat Scare
- Christianity Is Catholic: Averted. Catholic priests do appear to perform exorcisms, but other types of ministers also help combat the hauntings.
- We've also seen clergy members from numerous other belief systems. In one rare instance, the victim in question called in a pair of Wiccan priests to perform a cleansing. Unfortunately, it only made things worse.
- Creepy Basement
- Creepy Cemetery
- Cross Over: One of the episodes, "Gateway to Hell," features the location of Bobby Mackey's Music World. This location has been shown in multiple other paranormal investigative features, including Ghost Adventures.
- The Johnson family in the episode "Echoes of the Past" were also featured in the Ghost Hunters episode "Shadow People".
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Often used as back story.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Or young at least.
- Demonic Possession
- Don't Go in the Woods
- Electromagnetic Ghosts: In most of the episodes, ghosts mess with amplifiers, televisions, radios, drills, cars, and toys.
- Extremely Dusty Home: Or dirty house, whichever.
- Footprints Of Muck
- Ghostly Chill: Occasionally.
- Ghost Story: The premise of the show.
- Haunted Heroine: Or Hero
- Haunted House: Well, yeah.
- About half the episodes are set in houses, including both of the pilot episodes. The rest are set in a variety of locations, including cemeteries, bars, and even a haunted apartment. On rare occasions, it's the people themselves who are haunted.
- Haunted House Historian: They pop up in a lot of the episodes.
- Indian Burial Ground: The cause of a number of hauntings from the show.
- I See Dead People: Four or five of the episodes feature children who are shown conversing with the Ghost of the Week.
- Several episodes also deal with people coming to accept their ability to see dead people.
- Jump Scare: Comes with the nature of the show.
- Monster Clown
- Spooky Photographs: Used to tell what is present in the house.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: Several have been shown, usually demonic.