Roleplay: Our Avatars Are in a Room Together
Our avatars are in a room together
is a Forum Game
on the TV Tropes Forum
which was started by Fuzy 2 K
on the 22nd
of February, 2011 and had reached 16,300+ posts by mid-December of the same year, and nearly thrice that by the one year mark. The game is much like the We Are Our Avatars RP, but takes place in the same room where all the avatars are in.
In the game, all avatars are together in a room where they interact together. It originally started out a fun, lighthearted thread, but got darker and more like a Forum RP. As a result, the game was split into two different threads, the less structured version called the FG as it was once located in the Forum Games section., and the plot-y version
called the RP as it was created in the Roleplaying Section. The continuity here is looser than in the Forum RP. It can be found here.
The rules are as follows:
- NO RAPE. This should go without saying.
- NO PLOT. If any plot bunnies should spawn, make sure they stay bunnies — i.e.: small.
- NO GODMODDING. Can't believe I actually have to make a rule for this...
- This game is meant for interaction, so interact. Large walls of text within one's own characters is highly discouraged.
- IC is your friend. Stick to it!
- Try to respect the wishes of other players. If someone doesn't want something done to their character, don't do it.
- Fanservice for the sake of fanservice is prohibited. If the sole point of the character/scenario you are using is to indulge in your fetish, we will ask you to stop, or revise said character/scenario. If you become subject to questioning about this rule, we will ask you to provide proof that you are not violating it.
Addendum: We have a one-strike-you're-out policy regarding these rules. Break them and you will be told to leave. You have been warned.
Additional tips to make the roleplaying experience fun for all can be found here.
The character sheet shows more character-specific details (duh), and is always being updated (at least, by some users). Go check it out!
This Forum Game provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: In-jokes occasionally pop up relating to the actors that played the characters, or sometimes the tropers themselves
- Actually a Doombot: Mini-Majora
- Another Dimension: The main setting of the game.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Sheogorath, of Chaos. Dialga, of Time. Angra Mainyu, of Evil. Cloud, of the Lifestream.
- Apocalypse How: The fight between Azathoth and Cloud nearly triggers a Class Z.
- The Absolutist planned to bring about the total annihilation of all time and space after his Ascension.
- Apocalypse Wow: Cloud's Planet is destroyed after a deal with Jareth goes bad.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Aven becomes a universe and has to leave the others behind after successfully defeating the Absolutist. The Lodger is implied to have done this when he left for the forest, but it's up to interpretation.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Goku shows up with the Dragon Balls. Reality Ensues. Specifically, Ujasiri is driven to grief by finding out something she didn't realise she wanted to know, and Hope dooms his timeline.
- Beach Episode: Galactus gives the Room a beach complete with a beach town, naturally it's entertained by everybody and is still acknowledged by some of the people in the Room.
- Berserk Button: Boris's designer clothes; don't mess with them.
- Cloud and doctors and/or scientists.
- You really shouldn't interrupt Near and Rosarita's romantic moments if you don't want to get thrown across the room with half of your ribs broken.
- Hurting anyone Majora considers a friend will result in you wishing she would kill you.
- Do not mention Ed's height around Ed.
- Go ahead, try to hurt a woman when Zidane's around.
- You don't mess with Vi's friends ever lest you want your eyes punched out through the back of your skull.
- Nor do you insult Heidi's mech and get away with it without a fight.
- BFS: Zack with the Buster Sword, and Cloud with his Fusion Swords and this just the beginning of the list...
- All of Matt's swords, and FF!Gilgamesh collects these.
- Augus takes this to an extent beyond all the others, at a maximum length of the distance from THE EARTH TO THE MOON!
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Davros and a Reaper named Auditor entered an alliance, though the full extent of their partnership and their nefarious schemes has yet to be revealed.
- It likely never will be, as this arc has long since been buried under the
sands pages of time.
- Big Damn Villains: Mighty Eagle and his army of birds almost single-handedly defeated Discord during his reign of terror.
- Big Friendly Dog: Simple Dog/Am Dog.
- The Big Race: An areal Pokérace that started out with just a Dragonite and a Ho-Oh (with Mary and Pikachu as passengers respectively) and turned into a multi-competitor event with several legendaries making appearances. Arceus himself showed up at the end and commemorated the event by creating a constellation and a beautiful crystalline flower.
- Boss Fight: They happen every now and then.
- Break the Cutie: Daisy's reaction to Czer and Pentigan screwing around with each other after she waited months to see him.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Both averted at all costs, and ruthlessly smashed in for the lulz. Dante and Yog Sothoth seem fond of this. Naked Snake cuts the crap and flat out communicates with the rest of the RPers, including his own.
- Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff end up doing so when they learn a bit about how posts can get formatted, so much as pointing out out of character spoilers in their own posts and trying to use the smiley mark up to further their plans..
- Bus Crash: Young!Cloud
- Butt Monkey: Cloud.
- Byronic Hero: Cloud, to the letter. Bardock occasionally shows hints of this. Griffin is an exemplar of this trope.
- Call Back: Cloud, being a long runner and mainstay in the room, drops some of these at times. His alternate timeline's doomed self's tennis ball that Gordon gave him, the dog tags with his name on them during his run as the Cycle, and Aradia's gun are a few things he's cited.
- NoLegs returns after an almost ten-thousand page gap between appearances for an April Fools joke. He later is unceremoniously killed by Mituna in a skateboarding accident.
- Can't Stay Normal: Cloud, not for lack of trying, mind you.
- Cat Girl: Daisy turns into one for a bit.
- Chii as well, due to her persocom ears. She even acted like a cat during one King's Game.
- Casual Danger Dialogue
- Characterization Marches On: For several characters.
- The Chew Toy: Clippit can't help getting on others' bad side, which frequently results in him getting hurt in various amusing ways.
- Cloning Blues: Lok, who was a clone of Cloud. Tried to replace the original to have a family like he did. Failed miserably. Died alone, and forgotten by everyone.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Mituna Captor, Revy, and Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.
- Colony Drop: Majora's Mask attempted to make the moon fall. Guillo trying to destroy it as it fell certainly didn't help.
- Comforting Comforter: Cloud will do this for nearly anyone, but particularly Daisy and Delta.
- Rosarita does this for Near, albeit with more romantic intent.
- The Corruption: What can only be made of GEROMY and The Big Man. Their appearances spreads jpeg artifacts and threatens to make everybody into a shitty Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff parody of their original self.
- Curbstomp Battle: Cloud vs. Egg Walker. All it took was a single slash, which removed all 4 legs from Eggman's machine.
- Eggman seems to have appeared only for these. The second one was right after the first, with it ending in someone slicing the wrecking ball in half. The third one he did somewhat better, but the Nega-Wisp Armour wasn't up to the task. It turned into a curbstomp once Sonic showed up.
- Rust Monsters had never stood a chance...
- Cute Kitten: Serena, Sissel, Victus and Daisy.
- Darker and Edgier: The RP thread for this one. Also, the story arcs in the FG involving Jenova and the Traveller.
- Deal with the Devil: With various gods and demons showing up, this happens quite often. It has yet to not backfire horribly.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Cloud has no problem with the concept of child soldiers, and treats death much more casually than several others in the room, if not a bit more respectfully.
- Demonic Possession: Not technically a demon either time, but this happens to Volkov and Cloud.
- Happens to Cloud a lot. Done by Angra Mainyu three times, Azathoth twice, Yog Sothoth twice, an anonymous Elder Thing once, his Split Personality several times (though these are usually voluntary, and have happened much less after he takes over Jenova), Jenova six times, and Soul Edge Twice.
- The first occurence with Soul Edge is notable in particular for causing the Junon Incident... namely, Cloud went on a bloodlust/Jenova-fueled rampage and leveled a third of the city, killing thousands. By the time he managed to throw off control, the damage had been done, and after spending three months in confinement by the WRO with a lobotomy chip in his brain, he was allowed to go, with a Tracking Chip implanted in the back of his neck as punishment. It later happened again, with Cloud failing and attempting to permanently take control of Soul Edge, but he was reigned in by Toras Tarvok before much damage was done.
- Disney Death: Majora. She only managed to fool about half of the room, as said people weren't quite as Genre Savvy as the other half. Said other half mourned her death, only for her to pop up later in a different form to watch the fun.
- Driven to Suicide: "Roberta" and Cloud.
- Suicide by Cop: Attempted by Cloudnote with Majora after his memory of his family is erased and Fen is killed.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Ray and Spoof-Cloud. Seemingly Cloud at one point, but this turns out to be part of a Batman Gambit.
- Drowning My Sorrows: At one point, Doctor Wallace Breen and The Lodger get together and agree that both their lives are for lack of a better word, shit, and drink together.
- Dysfunction Junction: Hell, everyone that winds up in the room has issues one way or another. Cloud especially so.
- Emotionless Girl: Julie, anyone?
- Empty Piles of Clothing: When a character goes through a particularly dramatic transformation, although this is occasionally averted for convenience.
- Every Scar Has A Story: Used to be a popular conversation starter for someone to talk about how they received a certain scar.
- Friend to All Children: Cloud, to a ridiculous degree. The number of Tyke Bombs he's befriended is staggering.
- For Want of a Nail: Gear Leader's Kamina comes from a world where Simon died in place of him. Because Kamina could never push himself as far as Simon did, Yoko and Kittan are dead and Team Dai-Gurren has been in a losing struggle against Lord Genome for seven years.
- Funny Background Event: Riki's chasing around a treasure chest that spontaneously causes traps wherever it goes! Cloud's just gonna do his katas.
- Oh no! Lilith's been heavily injured by holy powers! Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff are just going to continue dealing with a flood of arrows and their own shenanigans while Cloud the Cycle does random mundane things to avoid getting involved.
- Good gracious, Haseo's rampaging in the room while Asura, Leena and Raven try to stop him! Meanwhile, Cloud and Tarvok are busy catching a mouse outside.
- Gag Penis: Mara.
- Gargle Blaster: The Vytautas Mineral Water. It's Earth's juice!
- Gender Bender: Happens to Gilgamesh, Cloud, "Malik", Hazama and Ryoji
- Gratuitous Rap:
- Davesprite and Hella Jeff's slam battle.
- Davesprite, Dave, Dirk and Violent J's three on one Juggalo-coolkid throwdown.
- Guilt Complex: Gordon Freeman, Silver, Lodger Jr. and Cloud.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Homosexual Today?: Yes, you read that right. Invoked by Cloud to try to shake off the Courier. It doesn't work.
- Hot Springs Episode: Estelle drags Yuno to onsen. A minute later, everyone from the Room is in there as well. Complete with Cloud being a Butt Monkey, hot lesbian action between Lilith, Casshern and Tomo and more various hijinks.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Cloud, multiple times, which always leads to him getting drunk. The grand total is thirty times, and it is believed he may have developed a bit of a drinking problem.
- Gendo Ikari too. He only visits the room for two reasons: to make sure Rei is safe and to get hammered.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: Happens to Bang Shishigami, and later Cloud.
- Infant Immortality: Averted with Daudz.
- Inn Between the Worlds: What the room can best be described as.
- Kick the Dog: Thanos imprisoning Cloud in a cage in bird form. Which generally wouldn't be a problem, but Cloud has a huge problem with confined spaces due to a few things that happened in his backstory.
- Killed Off for Real: So far, Anomaly!Cloud (put out of his misery by Dante, Azathoth (killed by Cloud), Daudz (killed in his infancy by Cloud), Zagi (absorbed by Cloud during one of his Episodes), and Dr. Breen (betrayed and shot by one of his former employees).
- Breen seems to be back as Breengrub now, though.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Cloud has the misfortune to wind up offing Ray, Zack, Tifa, and Daudz, his own son. The Reset Button was pushed via time paradox for the latter two, writing the last one out of existence entirely.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Happens on occasion.
- Long Runner: More than 7,000 pages and 175,000 posts as of October 16th, 2012, and at the current posting rate, it doesn't look like it'll be stopping anytime soon, either.
- Ludicrous Gibs: The aftermath of a specimen attack on DJ Scully's room. He's still trying to figure out how to clean the mess.
- Mind Rape: Done to Cloud, frequently. Guy can barely go a week without one. Did it to someone a few times, when suitably pissed. Griff was also subjected to a couple, first from the Absolutionist, who wanted to judge him for his "sins", and later Majora, who wanted him as a puppet.
- Moment Killer: Excalibur, in as much as this is possible when it's not a romantic moment.
- Naked Snake enjoys doing this. He thought it was a good idea to sneak up on Near and Rosarita's love scene, and the response was inmediate.
- Singed occasionally does it as well and let's not even get started at Hazama...
- Mood Whiplash: Frequently.
- Ms. Fanservice : Arturia....for some reason.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Cloud was finally taken in to get his tracking chip removed in what would have been an in-and-out procedure. Fen freaked out and attacked the WRO officers sent to retrieve him, half the room followed him to Edge, more problems were caused when Fen was seen and people pointed out her existence was a time paradox as far as they knew (as well as a biohazard), an overpass was destroyed, Penti made a threat that got taken seriously and was arrested, and Cloud had to have his chip put back in, as well as a kill-switch, as collateral. Good job, guys!
- Hope made a wish on the Dragon Balls to remove his friends' brands... forgetting that they were still wanted by the authorities, now without any powers to protect them, and leaving his own brand very much in place...
- Aven flooding the Absolutist with Lifestream caused him to Ascend to near God-like power and become an entire universe.
- The Nth Doctor: The Doctor himself. His 10th and 11th incarnations have been in the room.
- Odd Friendship: Just about any friendship that develops between those in the room would count as one of these.
- Official Couple : Pierce and Enkidu.
- Dante and Lady
- Cloud and Tifa
- Near and Rosarita are on their way as well.
- Griff and Shizune used to be one. The former left the latter in favor of Majora.
- Daisy Sue and John Egbert.
- Out of Focus: A lot of characters tend to fall off to the wayside after so long, if by lack of player interest, a closure of events for them, or a player's inability to participate in the game.
- Gordon, Near, and Gendo come to mind, there definitely hasn't been as many Striders running around since before, Mega Man, Dib, Plumps... etc.
- Physical God: The Hitoshura and Shuma Gorath, ditto with Raiden, Shao Kahn and Celestia. Plus Angra Mainyu. Cloud becomes one after Azathoth screws with him several times.
- And now the three Hylian goddesses and Majora can be counted as well.
- Playing with Syringes: A younger Cloud from an alternate timeline was unlucky to be in the room at the same time as Hojo. Things did not end well, and when Gordon found out what had been done to him, he was not pleased.
- Later, after the trial with Azathoth, alpha-timeline!Cloud finds the doomed universe that Cloud was in, and, after merging with his alternate self, shows up with the tennis ball Gordon had given him all those years ago, thanking Gordon for what he did.
- Poor Communication Kills: There are two Masters in the Room - Shizuka Joestar and Homura Akemi. Neither of them has any actual wish to fight the other, but their Servants led them to suspect that the other Master is plotting against them. As such, there seems to be apprehension developing between the two.
- Ultimately averted with a mini-Peace Conference.
- Further averted when Shirou Emiya was introduced and Tallis became another Master; the other Masters just confirmed that they have no will to fight each other as quickly as they could.
- Precision F-Strike: Daisy, of all people, drops two f-bombs in a row when the Planet is destroyed and Cloud dies as a result.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Cloud gives a long one to Penti and Czer that continues for several pages after he starts messing around with Daisy after the latter hadn't even seen him for month — years, even, from her perspective.
- Gilda gives one of her own to Griff.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Dante and Cloud, and John and Dave.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Suddenly, duckies! Which then proceeded to fill the room, leading to a massive ducksplosion (that's a word now).
- It then happened again, almost 1,500 pages later.
- Gordon Freeman adopted a duck and named her Eli.
- Running Gag: Those poor windows....
- Shoot the Dog: Takao, when he kills Tsubaki.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Tifa, to Cloud. Frequently.
- Slasher Smile: The RPers, or one RPer particular.
- Sleepy Head: Daisy and several other characters are prone to falling asleep at the drop of a hat.
- Something That Begins with "Boring": Done when time gets stopped briefly and everyone is stuck.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: Played with during Makoto's (kind of) and Kotonoha's wedding:
Cloud: If there are any objections to this union, keep it to yourself, because tough fucking shit.
Rosarita: I'm sorry, Mr. Strife, but that's just ridiculous. She's marrying a severed head...
Cloud: Oi. I said keep it to yourself.
- Stalker with a Crush: The Courier, to Cloud.
- Steampunk/Magitek/Technobabble: Used frequently to explain... half the things that happen, really.
- Spouted by Tesla, the Doctor and Cloud often.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: Alma Wade
- Stylistic Suck:
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: Daisy, who practically runs on Moe and many of Lil Queen Daisy's other characters. Also Pikachu, who is very cheerful and always willing to draw a picture for his friends.
- Talking Is a Free Action
- Team Pet: While technically Clippit's, The Elephant could be seen as this. Later, Plumps the Oshawott.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Averted with Cloud. Got fed up and left for over a month, and still isn't officially "back" yet.
- Time Abyss: Happens to Cloud.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Sometimes, characters from the same series appear from different points in the timelines, sometimes leading to parallel universes. Sometimes, it's even the same character.
- The Dog Bites Back: Cloud rises up against Azathoth and actually succeeds in killing him.
- Those Two Guys: Roy and Ludwig. They will go at each other for their faults and slip-ups, but it seems they do care for each other.
- Troll: Fergard Stratoavis' Hazama lives and breathes trollery. He even uses assholish emotes, for crying out loud.
- Higginbid's DOLAN also loves screwing with people.
- All of those are however topped by Discord and by several orders of magnitude as well, what with the chaos he's able to bring in span of few seconds.
- Majora, to the point where she faked her own death just to screw with people.
- Xellos loves to mess around, up to the point where it's not even funny.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Emerl finds out what he is — a gizoid, a weapon created by an ancient civilization. It takes quite a bit of doing to calm him down.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Used by Cloud and Boris to assist in taking down the Traveller.
- A semi-meta example, as explaining the plan would inform the antagonist's player as well.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Simple Dog is prone to randomly throwing up and then eating it again.
- Webcomic Time: Lampshaded by Cloud somewhere along the lines of:
"Maybe it's just me, but the past few weeks I've been in that room somehow feel like months. It's weird."
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Examples include Rennor, Pikachu, Daisy Sue, Emerl, Selphie, and Rock.
- You All Meet in an Inn
- You Do NOT Want To Know: Zero says this to Zero after Zero asks how X is doing.
- You Wake Up in a Room: The basic plot.
- Your Cheating Heart: Pentigan had an affair with a gender-bent Czer, cheating on his then-girlfriend, Daisy Sue.
- Griff cheated on Shizune with Majora for a while. He is eventually found out, but still shows signs of romantic intentions with Majora.
- Zombie Apocalypse: WApocalypse actually. It starts on page 1433.