Recap / Wander Over Yonder S 1 E 3 The Good Deed The Prisoner
The Good Deed
Wander and Sylvia have an "off day" in which every good deed they attempt to do also causes an even bigger problem. When things get so bad Lord Hater attempts to destroy a solar system, Wander almost loses all faith in himself, until Sylvia restores it.
The Good Deed features examples of:
- Behind the Black: Wander somehow didn't notice the guy holding the stick he took the carrot from.
- Courtroom Antic: Wander stages a frantic courtroom argument by himself in order to bring peace to two feuding families. It works mainly because it makes them that desperate to stop the madness.
- Feuding Families: Wander settles one by enacting an entire courtroom scene by himself.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Wander suffers one.
- I Resemble That Remark!: Lord Hater screams that he's not emotionally unstable just before flipping the psychic's table over and vowing revenge on the sun because he was upset over his reading.
- Mood Motif:
- The Kazoo of Success: Every time Wander does a good deed that turns out well (immediately before finding out that it made things worse somehow)...right up until Wander loses hope after all the failures. The episode's last one is for Sylvia's success in talking Wander out of giving up.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Several times throughout the episode.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: For once in this otherwise exceedingly idealistic show.
- Running Gag: The "Ta-da" kazoo whenever a good deed occurs; then the "wah-wah-wah-wah" banjo which plays the second it goes wrong.
Commander Peepers scoffs at Lord Hater's idea that Wander is some kind of genius. He appears to be proven right when he captures Wander *by just inviting him aboard* while Sylvia sleeps. But then Wander runs playfully amok in the ship, almost driving Peepers mad. When the ship's self-destruct system is activated, Peepers is forced to admit to Hater that he was right before the villain would cancel the destruct sequence. Meanwhile, Wander is rescued off the ship by Sylvia.
The Prisoner features examples of:
- Aside Glance: By Wander when he sees a video of Hater working out.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Wander is distracted by Peepers' laser gunsight, chasing the dot as if he were a cat and seemingly oblivious to the fact that Peepers is trying to capture him.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Peepers.
- Eye Scream: Peepers gets accidentally teleported into space by Wander and his eye swells to an enormous size and becomes bloodshot. Considering that Peepers is mostly an eyeball to begin with, this can't be very comfortable for him.
- At the food court his eye gets hit with hot sauce, lemon, and pepper.
- Food Fight: Wander starts one in the food court on Lord Hater's ship.
- Homage: The whole episode is basically a giant call-back to the classic chase cartoons like Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote and Tom and Jerry, especially with Peepers' frustrated insistence that Wander can't possibly be smart enough to keep eluding him.
- Humiliation Conga: Peepers goes through a whole episode of this.
- Magic Countdown: The 30-second self destruct actually took over a minute.
- Off Model: When Sylvia punches Peepers, look closely and you can see Wander disappear from the prison cell.
- Orbital Shot: Wander gets one after he enters Hater's ship for the first time.
- The Password is Always "Swordfish": The password for Lord Hater's self-destruct system is "Lord Hater #1 super star".
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: Wander activates the self-destruct in Lord Hater's ship. Hater waits for Peepers to apologize before deactivating it at literally the last second.
- Villain Episode: The first episode centered on the Lord Hater plot instead of the Wander plot.