Recap: Wander Over Yonder S 1 E 2 The Picnic The Fugitives
Lord Hater wants to take over the universe via a wish granted from a cosmic being, but Wander merrily arrives and declares that he's going to have a picnic in the exact same spot Hater is planning to conquer. Oh, and Emperor Awesome is also there to grab the wish, and he's brought his Fist Fighters with him. Lord Hater is having a bad day...
Tropes appearing in "The Picnic":
- Demoted to Extra: Sylvia spends most of the episode in the bathroom, emerging only at the very end.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Emperor Awesome seems heroic in this episode; later appearances depict him as a villain.
- Force Field: Hater uses one to keep Awesome's forces out—only to find that Wander has inexplicably appeared inside it.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: A frustrated Lord Hater punches out Emperor Awesome with one of Awesome's own fist-shaped minions.
- Magic Countdown: Hater's wish for Wander to shut up for 5 seconds actually lasts around 22 seconds in real life.
- Pass the Popcorn: Both literally (Wander enjoys some popcorn while he and Hater are in the force field together) and figuratively (Wander has his picnic while watching Hater and Awesome's forces fight it out).
- Whole Plot Reference: A cosmic being of infinite power appears under certain conditions to grant people one wish. Sound familiar, Dragon Ball fans?
- Wilhelm Scream: One of Hater's Mooks does this.
Wander and Sylvia have to get off a planet ruled by Hater, but Wander's Chronic Hero Syndrome makes things a bit difficult.
Tropes appearing in "The Fugitives":
- Added Alliterative Appeal: "Might I propose a proposition to your perplexing and ponderous peanut problem?"
- Because You Were Nice to Me/Laser-Guided Karma: The aliens Wander assisted help him and Sylvia escape in the end.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome/Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: A major plot point here. Despite Sylvia's warning, Wander can't resist helping someone in need for more than about a minute, and even then he has to make a supreme effort to hold back.
- Flaw Exploitation/Dangerously Genre Savvy: The Army of Watchdogs victimize random beings to draw Wander out because they know he's compelled to help people.
- Silly Reason for War: Wander helps out two tribes of ants that were about to go to war over a single peanut.