Recap: Wander Over Yonder S 1 E 2 The Picnic The Fugitives
Lord Hater wants to take over the universe via a wish granted from a cosmic being, but Wander merrily arrives and declares that he's going to have a picnic in the exact same spot Hater is planning to conquer. Oh, and Emperor Awesome is also there to grab the wish, and he's brought his Fist Fighters with him. Lord Hater is having a bad day...
Tropes appearing in "The Picnic":
- Demoted to Extra: Sylvia spends most of the episode in the bathroom, emerging only at the very end.
- Enemy Rising Behind: Lord Hater does this when he appears behind Wander, about to strangle him.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Emperor Awesome seems heroic in this episode; later appearances depict him as a villain.
- Force Field: Hater uses one to keep Awesome's forces out—only to find that Wander has inexplicably appeared inside it.
- Gone Behind the Bend: Hater chases Wander around a tall narrow rock, until Wander climbs up on it to watch the planets align, leaving Hater to run around the rock until he finds Wander on top and resumes chasing him.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: A frustrated Lord Hater punches out Emperor Awesome with one of Awesome's own fist-shaped minions.
- Magic Countdown: Hater's wish for Wander to shut up for 5 seconds actually lasts around 22 seconds in real life.
- Pass the Popcorn: Both literally (Wander enjoys some popcorn while he and Hater are in the force field together) and figuratively (Wander has his picnic while watching Hater and Awesome's forces fight it out).
- Wasteful Wishing: At the end when Wander pesters Hater to the point that he completely botches his wish from the "Celestial Being"Hater: I WISH YOU WOULD LEAVE ME ALONE FOR FIVE SECONDS!Celestial Being: Yeah, okay, I can swing it out.
- When the Planets Align: The plot revolves around a planetary alignment.
- Whole Plot Reference: A cosmic being of infinite power appears under certain conditions to grant people one wish. Sound familiar, Dragon Ball fans?
- Wilhelm Scream: One of Hater's Mooks does this.
Wander and Sylvia have to get off a planet ruled by Hater, but Wander's Chronic Hero Syndrome makes things a bit difficult.
Tropes appearing in "The Fugitives":
- Added Alliterative Appeal: "Might I propose a proposition to your perplexing and ponderous peanut problem?"
- Because You Were Nice to Me/Laser-Guided Karma: The aliens Wander assisted help him and Sylvia escape in the end.
- Big Damn Heroes: Played straight and subverted. Sylvia's last-minute rescue is foiled because she's outnumbered by Watchdogs. However, the citizens of the planet pull one of their own to repay Wander for helping them throughout the episode
- Chronic Hero Syndrome/Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: A major plot point here. Despite Sylvia's warning, Wander can't resist helping someone in need for more than about a minute, and even then he has to make a supreme effort to hold back.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: Hater's minions attempt to draw out Wander by causing multiple accidents that Wander wants to assist people with, but can't due to promising Sylvia that he wouldn't help anyone else due to it constantly causing their escape plans to fail. Wander caves in.
- Flaw Exploitation/Dangerously Genre Savvy: The Army of Watchdogs victimize random beings to draw Wander out because they know he's compelled to help people.
- Heart Beats out of Chest: Wander's heart beat out his chest as he describes the good feeling he gets from helping others.
- Sanity Slippage: Wander has a brief one while trying to repress his urges to help those in need.
- Silly Reason for War: Wander helps out two tribes of ants that were about to go to war over a single peanut.