Lord Hater wants to take over the universe via a wish granted from a cosmic being, but Wander merrily arrives and declares that he's going to have a picnic in the exact same spot Hater is planning to conquer. Oh, and Emperor Awesome is also there to grab the wish, and he's brought his Fist Fighters with him. Lord Hater is having a bad day...
Tropes appearing in "The Picnic":
- Demoted to Extra: Sylvia spends most of the episode in the bathroom, emerging only at the very end.
- Enemy Rising Behind: Lord Hater does this when he appears behind Wander, about to strangle him.
- Facepalm: Done by Peepers and the Mooks after Hater accidentally wastes his wish.
- Force Field: Hater uses one to keep Awesome's forces out—only to find that Wander has inexplicably appeared inside it.
- Gone Behind the Bend: Hater chases Wander around a tall narrow rock, until Wander climbs up on it to watch the planets align, leaving Hater to run around the rock until he finds Wander on top and resumes chasing him.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: A frustrated Lord Hater punches out Emperor Awesome with one of Awesome's own fist-shaped minions.
- Magic Countdown: Hater's wish for Wander to shut up for 5 seconds actually lasts around 22 seconds in real life.
- Out of Order: This was the first episode broadcast; Disney Channel advertised it as a "series preview". Technically, it's the second episode produced.
- Pass the Popcorn: Both literally (Wander enjoys some popcorn while he and Hater are in the force field together) and figuratively (Wander has his picnic while watching Hater and Awesome's forces fight it out).
- Rapid-Fire "No!": Hater lets out one as he sees Awesome beat him to the tower.
- Staggered Zoom: Hater has one when Wander repeatedly offers sandwiches to him.
- Three... Two... One...: Peepers says this just before Hater's accidental wish to silence Wander wears off.
- Un-Paused: When Hater stops Wander mid-sentence accidentally wishing for him to shut up, he holds the same pose until the wish ends, resuming right where he left off when Hater shushed him.
- Wasteful Wishing: At the end when Wander pesters Hater to the point that he completely botches his wish from the "Celestial Being"Hater: I WISH YOU WOULD LEAVE ME ALONE FOR FIVE SECONDS!Celestial Being: Yeah, okay, I can swing that.
- When the Planets Align: The plot revolves around a planetary alignment.
- Whole Plot Reference: A cosmic being of infinite power appears under certain conditions to grant people one wish. Sound familiar, Dragon Ball fans?
- Wilhelm Scream: One of Hater's Mooks does this.
Wander and Sylvia have to get off a planet ruled by Hater, but Wander's Chronic Hero Syndrome makes things a bit difficult.
Tropes appearing in "The Fugitives":
- Added Alliterative Appeal: "Might I propose a proposition to your perplexing and ponderous peanut problem?"
- Bear Hug: Wander gets a bone-crunching hug from a rock-alien lady for helping when one of her babies fell out of her cart.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The aliens Wander assisted help him and Sylvia escape in the end.
- Big Damn Heroes: Played straight and subverted. Sylvia's last-minute rescue is foiled because she's outnumbered by Watchdogs. However, the citizens of the planet pull one of their own to repay Wander for helping them throughout the episode
- Buffy Speak: Wander states his "feeling" at one point floats up past the "dangly thing in his mouth" (uvula).
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: Hater's minions attempt to draw out Wander by causing multiple accidents that Wander wants to assist people with, but can't due to promising Sylvia that he wouldn't help anyone else due to it constantly causing their escape plans to fail. Wander caves in.
- Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: A major plot point here. Despite Sylvia's warning, Wander can't resist helping someone in need for more than about a minute, and even then he has to make a supreme effort to hold back.
- Eureka Moment: When one of the Watchdogs remarks having some sure way to find Wander and Sylvia would be "helpful", this gives his superior the idea to cause some trouble for people and exploit Wander's Chronic Hero Syndrome.
- Flaw Exploitation: The Army of Watchdogs victimize random beings to draw Wander out because they know he's compelled to help people.
- Heart Beats out of Chest: Wander's heart beat out his chest as he describes the good feeling he gets from helping others.
- Nobody Here but Us Birds: During her first escape plan, Sylvia uses bird-calls to attempt to signal Wander.
- Pragmatic Villainy: The Watchdogs pull this on Wander by causing three problems in the marketplace, causing Wander to help all of them. Then when one of the Watchdogs drops his gun, Wander unknowingly helps him, setting up the last trap for him to get caught.
- Real Time: Sylvia points out the garbage barge will be leaving the planet in precisely three minutes. Exactly three minutes after she says that, she and Wander are tossed onto the barge as it is leaving.
- Sanity Slippage: Wander has a brief one while trying to repress his urges to help those in need.
- Silly Reason for War: Wander helps out two tribes of ants that were about to go to war over a single peanut.