Homer joins the Naval Reserve after getting fired again, with world-threatening results. Meanwhile, Bart gets his ear pierced.
See The Simpsons S 9 E 19 Simpson Tide
- Ambiguously Gay: Barney has a pin-up of a cross-dressed Homer. Homer is understandably confused.
- Back from the Dead: When Soviet Union decided it was time to show it wasn't over, Vladimir Lenin rose from his grave.
- Brick Joke: Earlier in the episode, Homer's excuse of it being his first day at the plant failed because Smithers reminded Mr. Burns about Homer having been an employee for ten years. Near the end, Homer tried the same excuse.
- Chekhov's Gun: Homer taking Bart's earring as punishment for getting pierced would help him save the submarine from filling with water.
- Comically Missing the Point: After Tenille is fired into the side of the opposing submarine.
Crewman: We've been hit with an officer!
Captain: If they're going to fire on us, we'll respond in kind. Fire. Fire!
(two men grab the captain, intending to drag him to the torpedo tubes)
Captain: Not me! A torpedo!
- Later, when Homer was court-martialed, he needed a janitor to explain to him he was released.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: One tries to bust Homer and company into shape because their mothers aren't there to coddle them (except Barney's).
Drill Sergeant: All right, Simpson. I don't like you, and you don't like me.
Homer: I like you.
Drill Sergeant: Um, all right, you like me, but I don't like you.
Homer: Maybe you would like me if you got to know me better.
- Karma Houdini: Homer avoided punishment for his actions while in charge of the submarine because each member of the committee judging him had his own legal trouble.
- New Job Episode
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, Homer had two embarrassing photos of himself taken that only two people know about:
- Barney has a Betty Grable-style pin-up of Homer.
- Lisa once warned Homer against having a photo of himself as a Communist Russian posing outside the St. Basil Cathedral with a bottle of vodka in his hand. It somehow became a file photo for Channel 6 News when Kent Brockman did the report on Homer piloting a nuclear sub into Russian waters.
- Parental Hypocrisy: Homer refuses to let Bart have an earring, even though he himself got an earring at that age as a sign of rebellion.
"But that's completely different!"
- Unaccustomed as I Am to Public Speaking...: "I'm a man of few words...any questions?"
- You Are in Command Now: Homer was placed in command of the submarine while Captain Tenille was cleaning out the torpedo tubes, which Homer later stupidly ordered to fire.
- Zombie Gait: How Lenin moves about.
"Must crush capitalism!"