Episode - 1F03
First Aired - 11/4/1993Marge makes friends with Ruth Powers (the divorced mother from "New Kid on the Block"), but one night with her leads to a Thelma & Louise style run from the cops (minus the rape, gun violence, Brad Pitt as a handsome cowboy conman, and cliff suicidenote ). Meanwhile, Homer hangs out with Chief Wiggum and the Simpson kids have Lionel Hutz as their latest babysitter.
This episode contains examples of:
- Accidental Hero: Homer informs Marge and Ruth about the canyon, which they didn't notice. When they did, they stopped before certain death. Homer and Wiggum were the ones who ends up driving off the canyon, only to be saved by a landfill.
- An Arm and a Leg: One of the firemen prepares to saw off Homer's arms to save him from the vending machine. According to the guy, he's done this before.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Ruth's daughter Laura doesn't make any appearance in this episode (Ruth does mention her, however, saying she has to get home to her before "that naked talk show comes on").
- Crying Wolf: Marge didn't believe Homer got his hands caught in two vending machines, thinking he's backing out on his promise. Homer had the fireman write a letter to prove it.Marge: (reading fireman's note) "Dear Mrs. Simpson, while we were rescuing your husband, a lumber yard burned down."
Homer: Ohh, lumber has a million uses.
- Disappointed In You: Even after she learned the truth, Marge was still disappointed in Homer for not keeping his promise. Later, Homer thinks this is why Marge became a criminal.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Kent Bockman chimes in that Marge and Ruth must be executed for escaping from the police, "lest their actions incite other women, leading to anarchy of Biblical proportions".
- Divorce Assets Conflict: Ruth Powers' ex-husband refused to pay her child support and alimony, so Ruth steals his convertible. In the epilogue, a voice-over tells the viewers that a judge dismissed the car theft charges against Ruth and ordered her husband to pay the back child support; no doubt, the cause for this was because his lawyer was Lionel Hutz.
- Failed a Spot Check: Marge and Ruth fail to notice they're coming upon a chasm until Homer tells them.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Despite what Marge says, "Shotkickers" might not be its actual name.◊
- Chief Wiggum's line about buying an inflatable woman that wasn't a woman.
- "Home Alone" Antics: Homer invokes this at one point.Lisa: Hey Dad, I think state and federal laws require us to have a babysitter.
Homer: Oh, Lisa. Haven't you seen Home Alone? If some burglars come, it'll be a very humorous and entertaining situation.
- Honor Before Reason: "It's the principle of the thing! I just can't let him beat me again!"
- Imagine Spot: Homer has one about the ballet, envisioning it to be a bear riding around in a small car with no roof. This sequence currently provides the page image for Dancing Bear.
- Homer providing vending machine treats to the people at Maggie's wedding.
- Ironic Echo: "Your point being?"
- Knife Nut: Lionel Hutz pulls a knife on the Simpsons kids when they try to wake him from a nap because he thought he was at the Y.M.C.A..
- Morality Pet: Marge for Ruth.Ruth: Marge, you're the level-headed friend I never had.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Homer blames himself when he thinks Marge is willingly going to drive off the chasm.
- Noodle Incident: When Chief Wiggum told Homer to buy an inflatable woman, he told Homer to check if it was really a woman because one time, well, he didn't get into details of what happened. It could have been a male inflatable doll or a transgender inflatable doll (both of which actually exist. Go down to any sex toy store or any store like Spencers' that sells adult novelties and see for yourself).
- What happened to Lionel Hutz at the YMCA that made him freak out over people touching his stuff?
- Random Smoking Scene: Near the end of the episode Marge is seen smoking a cigarette in a Badass Smoker pose. This is really awkward because she normally doesn't smoke and for most of the episode her friend Ruth Powers was acting out the Badass Smoker part.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Lenny and Carl's reaction to Homer's arms getting trapped.Carl: Oh no, he's done for!Lenny: Let's get out of here!
- Shout-Out: Ending spoof of Dragnet.
- There are several references to Thelma & Louise, including the bar scene, and the part where Homer and Wiggum plunge into a chasm.
- Skewed Priorities: A member of the emergency unit dealing with Homer decides it would be better to cut off his arms than tear up the vending machines. He is mere seconds from hacking off Homer's limbs with a buzz saw (with no anaesthetic) before a more competent member realises they're only stuck because he's still trying to take out the lodged food.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Lenny also thought the ballet was seeing a bear drive around in a little car at the circus.
- State The Simple Solution: Ruth stole her ex-husband's car since he wouldn't pay alimony. Marge's reponse:Marge: Didn't you realize all you had to do was report him to the police?Ruth: Marge, you're the levelheaded friend I never had.
- Sure, Let's Go with That:Fireman: Homer, this isn't easy for me to say, but I'm gonna have to saw your arms off.
Homer: They'll grow back, won't they?
Fireman: Oh... oh yeah.
Homer: (relieved) Whew!
- Suspect Is Hatless: When Chief Wiggum radioed for help about Marge and Ruth, he said they were under the sun.
- Sustained Misunderstanding: Chief Wiggum was only trying to tell Ruth one of her tail-lights was smaller than the other. Granted, she was afraid he might find out she's driving a stolen car.
- Take That: To Garrison Keillor during the telethon.Homer: What the hell's so funny?!
Bart: Maybe it's the TV.
Homer: (hitting the TV) Stupid TV! Be more funny!
- That Man Is Dead: Lionel Hutz burns his belongings in the Simpsons fireplace and says his name is now Miguel Sanchez.
- Too Dumb to Live: As a rescue worker gets ready to saw off Homer's arms since there is no apparent alternative, another rescue worker approaches him...Rescue Worker #2: Homer, are you just holding onto the can?Homer: Your point being?
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Kent Brockman getting cut off during his broadcast of Marge and Ruth's run from the law after his controversial statements about women causing anarchy of Biblical proportions. The screen is Kent Brockman in a straitjacket with a cuckoo clock bird coming out of his head.◊Kent Brockman: It's in Revelations, people!
- Whole Plot Reference: Marge and Ruth's plot parodies Thelma & Louise.