After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a model on how people should act.
Tropes of this episode:
- A God I Am: Bart feels like this
- As Himself: James Brown
- Big Damn Heroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though the townspeople decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
- The Bore: Marge is called out on this.
- The Chosen One: Bart Simpson
- Captain Obvious:
Homer: Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.
Marge: I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.
Homer: And I feel that you hear my shame.
- Control Freak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
- Edited for Syndication: This part from the self-help video's introduction is edited out:
Troy: A few weeks ago, I was a washed-up actor with a drinking problem. Then Brad Goodman came along and gave me this job and a can of fortified wine! (drinks some) Ah...sweet liquor eases the pain.
(after Brad Goodman is introduced)
Brad: Thank you so much, Troy. And by the way, I'm not happy you're still drinking, but at least you're down to one from more than fifty.
- Also, the whole "If this were a cartoon..." portion of the trampoline cliff scene, the rest of Homer's attempts to get rid of the trampoline (including Bart's successful solution), and Otto letting the cars park anywhere during the Do What You Feel Festival.
- Fetish Retardant: Patty & Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
- Flat "What.": Lisa. See You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery: Bart soon believes this.
Skinner: *after hitting Bart with a slingshot* Eat my shorts, young man.
- Memetic Mutation: Not really to the fans at large, but James Brown's delivery of "This bandstand wasn't double-bolted" made it a popular saying around the show's offices.
- "TRAMAPOLINE! TRABABOLINE!"
- Never My Fault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
- Oh Crap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Lisa has this reaction.
- With Friends Like These...: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
- You Might Remember Me from...: Troy McClure's other self-help videos include Smoke Yourself Thin and Get Confidence, Stupid!