Recap: The Simpsons S 5 E 7 Barts Inner Child
After Homer buys a trampoline for the backyard (and every kid in town ends up injured from it), Marge realizes that she's a nag who doesn't know how to have any fun, so she listens to a self-help guru named Brad Goodman, who begins using Bart as a model on how people should act.
Tropes of this episode:
- A God I Am: Bart feels like this...until Lisa tells him he's sitting on an ice cream sandwich and later, Bart becomes sick of everyone acting like him.
- As Himself: James Brown
- Big Damn Heroes: Homer tries to do this by helping Bart escape inside a parade float. The disguise is quickly blown, though the townspeople decided to go to the old mill to get cider.
- The Bore: Marge is called out on this. The funnest thing she's ever done is make sloppy joes and clips from such episodes as "Homer the Heretic," "Dog of Death," and "Colonel Homer" illustrate that all Marge does is ruin everyone's fun by nagging.
- Captain Obvious:
Homer: Marge, I'm feeling a lot of shame right now.
Marge: I'm hearing that you feel a lot of shame.
Homer: And I feel that you hear my shame.
- The Chosen One: Bart Simpson
- Control Freak: Homer accuses Marge of being this, complete with a nagging montage.
- Cowboy Cop: McGarnagle.
You busted up that crack house pretty bad, McGarnagle. Did you really have to break so much furniture?
McGarnagle: You tell me, Chief. You had a pretty good view from behind your desk.
Chief: You're off the case McGarnagle!
McGarnagle: You're off your case chief!
Chief: What does that mean exactly?
: Well, here we are at the Brad Goodman lecture. Lisa
: We know
, dad. Homer
: I just thought I'd remind everybody. After all, we did agree to attend this self-help seminar. Bart
: What an odd thing to say.
- Fan Disservice: Patty and Selma ride horseback naked, but the townspeople are all disgusted by it (except the Sea Captain).
- Flat "What.": Lisa. See You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!
- Fully Automatic Clip Show: When Marge asks Bart and Lisa if she's no fun and a nag, the show cuts to clips from previous episodes where Marge is a killjoy.
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery: Bart soon believes this.
Skinner: *after hitting Bart with a slingshot* Eat my shorts, young man.
- Never My Fault: The townsfolk blame Bart and chase him around town when the "Do What You Feel Like" policy ends up causing chaos.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Brad Goodman is a parody of motivational guru John Bradshaw.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Pretty much a lot of people in Springfield, thanks to Bart.
- Oh, Crap: Bart let's out a flat "Eep" before getting chased by everyone.
- Shout-Out: Homer dropping the trampoline from a canyon is a homage to Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Lisa has this reaction.
- With Friends Like These...: Apu is the one who spearheads the town into turning on Bart when things go berserk.
- You Might Remember Me from...: In-Universe. Troy McClure's other self-help videos include Smoke Yourself Thin and Get Confidence, Stupid!