Episode - 9F02
First Aired - 10/15/1992Upset over a caricature artist's picture of her, Lisa sinks into a depression about her appearance. To cheer her up, Homer sells his ride on the Duff Blimp (which he won in a school raffle) to pay for Lisa's entry fee in an upcoming child pageant for little girls aged seven to nine, but when Lisa wins the title of Little Miss Springfieldnote , she discovers that the title is a scam to get a child spokesperson for Laramie Cigarettes.
This episode contains examples of YMMV Examples Here:
- Animal Testing: Mentioned by Barney when Homer asks him where he got the money to pay for the blimp ticket — with labs less willing to do this, "a guy like me can really clean up" volunteering for experiments!
- Artistic License – Physics: When Lisa is crowned Little Miss Springfield, the crown and sceptre handed to her are still giving off steam even though time has passed between Amber being struck by lightning and the crown passing to Lisa. If the crown was still hot enough to have steam coming off it, it would've burned Lisa's scalp but that didn't happen.
- Art Shift: The Couch Gag has more exaggerated and cartoonish animation than normal.
- As Himself: Bob Hope (He hosts a local USO show and presents Lisa to the crowd. They aren't happy because they were expecting an adult pageant queen, and proceed to riot in a spoof of Apocalypse Now.)
- Badass Teacher: The Blue Haired Lawyer makes the mistake of making a former Green Beret, a.k.a. Skinner, angry.
- Beauty Contest: A full pageant example with a talent competition, Q&A, etc. No swimsuit competition, as they are little girls and that would just be creepy (though Bart did mention "taping your swimsuit to your butt" and "padding" as beauty contest tricks of the trade)
- Big Sister Instinct: Upon seeing her baby sister smoking, Lisa refuses to continue being Laramie Cigarettes' puppet.
- Bond One-Liner: "Copyright expired."
- Celebrity Endorsement: Lisa, to her horror, finds herself being forced into this for Laramie Cigarettes. Earlier, when the ad for the pageant notes that Krusty the Klown will be hosting it, it cuts to black-and-white footage of Krusty blankly stating "I heartily endorse this event or product!"
- Cheap Heat: Bob Hope makes sure to ask what the mayor's name is before hitting the stage so he can get laughs with a joke about how much Mayor Quimby stinks at golf. It works.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Amber Dempsey.
- Deranged Animation: The brief moment when Lisa looks in a spoon and thinks her face looks ugly, thanks to the fish eye lens effect.
- Disney Owns This Trope: The opening scene has Principal Skinner confronted by Disney lawyers over the carnival being advertised as "The Happiest Place on Earth" (a famous slogan for Disneyland). Being an ex-Green Beret, however, he dispatches them easily.
- Expy: Menthol Moose for Joe Camel, the Real Life mascot for Camel Cigarettes. At the time this episode was made, the company was accused of using the mascot to subtly market cigarettes to children.
- Extreme Omnivore: Homer eating the entire tub of petroleum jelly that Lisa was using on her teeth for that frictionless smile. According to the writers and producers on the DVD commentary, this was the grossest thing Homer has ever eaten (so far, anyway).
- Hollywood Nerd: A bunch of these chase a football team out after Lisa rats on the players for extortion.
- It's All My Fault: Homer blames himself for the Loophole Abuse that disqualified Lisa.
- Loophole Abuse:
- Lisa is disqualified from being Little Miss Springfield because Homer wrote "Okay" in a box marked "Do not write in this space" on Lisa's application form.
- Also, Laramie Cigarettes sponsoring the pageant to circumvent the laws against advertising cigarettes on TV.
- Amber has eyelash implants. When Lisa asks if they are illegal, someone tells her "Not in Paraguay".
- Mood-Swinger: Kent Brockman, when the blimp crashes:Kent: OH THE HUMANITY!!!.... Anyway, to turn on the store's "severe tire damage" spikes, here's Little Miss Springfield.
- Noodle Incident:Krusty: And now it's time to name our runner-up who, if the winner doesn't fulfill her duties, blah blah blah. And don't say it'll never happen, because we all remember that thing with what's-her-name. (mimes taking pictures) Click, click. (makes "queer" hand signal) You know.
- Off-Model: Krusty's nose turns white when he sings the Spelling Song mentioned below.
- Pun: The headline "Lisa kicks butt!", which shows Lisa kicking down the Laramie cigarette pack on the float.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: How did Amber get eyelash implants if they're illegal? "Not in Paraguay", says one of the other contestants.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Kent leaves the newscast after the wrong footage keeps being played.
- Shout-Out: When Barney crashes the Duff Blimp Kent Brockman shouts, "Oh, the humanity!" The same line was said when by a reporter in 1937 when the Hindenburg crashed.
- Smoking Is Not Cool: Little Miss Springfield is sponsored by Laramie's, a cigarette multinational, who doesn't shy away of subliminally advertising tobacco on TV and promoting cigarette smoking among mothers and children. When Lisa realizes she is exploited by the company she immediately rebels against them and uses her influence to provide more socially admirable messages, such as making a stance that government money could be used for better education instead of merely sponsoring sporting games (which caused a football team to be chased out by angry nerds).
- Special Guest and Creator Cameo: Lona Williams (a staff member on the show who actually worked the beauty pageant circuit when she was a child) as Amber Dempsey.
- Spelling Song: Krusty belts one out at the end of the pageant, though the scene changes after its opening lines:L, the losers in her wake
I, the income she will make
T is for her tooth-filled mouth
T is for her tooth-filled mouth...
- Straw Hypocrite: Amber was Pork Princess and Little Miss Kosher in the same week. (Of course, the real hypocrite would likely be her agent.)
- Take That!: Laramie's mascot Menthol Moose - who is crushed when Lisa kicks over the large cigarette box prop - parodies Old Joe, the now discontinued mascot of Camel cigarettes.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Bart Simpson demonstrates this by walking in heels, and surprisingly, he does it much better than Lisa.
- Wrong Footage Gag: Kent Brockman gets this done to him twice in the finale: First, when throwing to footage of Lisa losing her Little Miss Springfield crown, and again for his interview with Pope John Paul II. Both times, it cuts to footage of a goat being milked by a bottle.Kent: That's it. I cannot work under these conditions. If anybody wants me, I'll be downstairs at McDougal's. Call the weekend guy. I don't care.